Restoring Metal DePersia Bailer with Plastic Bailer Parts

I recently bought a 1966 Sunfish and am missing the bailer cap as most do.

Could you share the 3D model if it worked out?

Is there a "hardware store" alternative to the metal cap?

[QUOTE="Light and Variable Winds, post: 159508, member: 17570]...think I've seen those, in grass-green (less-often in transparent red or transparent yell0w).

... some fat (older, and tough) hose washers in a salmon color would work. I've got a few right now.

I am usually the first to say that color should be a top factor when making decisions about sailing parts and attire. But you are really pushing it to say color is important for the internal parts of the bailer! No one will see theirs after installation. Perhaps you just want the pride of knowing you are color-coordinated?
[/QUOTE]

Lost my answer...:confused:

The colors correspond to garden hose washers. The material in the green seals is more supple than any of the others--plus, there are concentric rings molded in to assist in sealing the ball. Black was also good. YMMV.

(I used toenail clippers to trim the frues away).

Did I see the OP selling his Sunfish on here? Member "Old Paint" has retired from sailing? :eek:

Maybe I'm not sailing fast enough (kinda kidding as although I know I'm getting up on a plane with decent winds)...and I've just taken the cap off my Despersia bailer, and quite frankly, water was NOT draining out anything like the Anderson style bailers I've seen....or of course the plug in the transom on open power boats, etc. I don't have the ball in mine anymore, and the screw cap twists freely in the threads, so therefore isn't much of an issue to reach down and unscrew it a bit. But since the bailer really doesn't work all that well, so I typically just leave it screwed in and it's more a cockpit drain when the boat is on the trailer. The biggest waves when whitecapping on KY Lake usually are only 2+ft or so and I really don't get all that much water in the cockpit.

Back