restoring an older sunfish

pkuettel

I haven't bought the boat yet, still looking at one. It is in rough shape, lot's of peeling paint no holes or fractures, not sure what parts are missing. It has a new sail (used one season) and comes with a trailer. Asking $700.

How do you determine how old it is. Is getting title important. What should I be looking for (I have never sailed and know nothing about buying a sailboat). I am moderately handy..but will I be getting in over my head? The current owner bought the boat in similar condition 5 years ago, sanded it down, patched a hole in the bow, put two coats of paint on it and had a great time.

Thanks for your help.

That's a tough one. I suggest you first read a lot about sailing and Sunfish before committing yourself to this boat. From what little info you provided, the boat is not a 'steal'.

The serial number is on the stern, right hand side. The code can be translated into the year the boat was made and by which company. If there is no such number, the boat is really old. Please search the forum to get the details.

Title may be very important,depending on the state where you live. Contact your state MVA for further info. This issue has also been discussed on this forum (again, use the "Search" function).

Weigh the hull; very important. A solid boat should weigh around 130 lbs. Much more means it's waterlogged and a job ahead of you.

The statement that the current owner has had fun with this boat, doesn't mean much, IMHO....

And finally, it is very important to find out what parts are missing because certain parts are pretty expensive, or difficult to get if the boat is really old.

I hope others will chime in.

I just picked up a 63 model Sunfish that needed new rudder, tiller, dagger board and sail. The boat itself is in excellent shape and a good trailer was included for $400.

Even in its present state, I have sailed it a few times and I was surprised how well she sailed. All the hardware (very important) was servicable.

This is my second Sunfish. Bought the first one new (with trailer) in 1982 for around $2000.

Paeyyul, I concur with the previous post and pay close atttention to the hull and hardware. All other components are easily available (although expensive)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you...

I got a much newer sunfish in great condition for $700. Buyer beware. A few parts can quickly add up to hundreds. And I concur, title can be very important; it was to us.

Back