Restoring a 74 Laser

readyjimm

currently this is my 3rd laser, i pick them up spend the time and effort restoring them.
while i race them, people come up and offer me cash for them. i have no idea why, but i guess im doing something right. my current project is one of the easiest i have had yet. But im taking suggestions on the color combination because right now im partial to a white on white boat (hull and deck) but im looking for a couple of things. some new grab rails, and these decals that are in the picture ive attached. i know i can go get them made by fast signs but i dont know the measurements. if some one can help me out that would be fantastic.

Attachments

• yandy41285.jpg
    yandy41285.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 157
Hey James, I restored my 74 last year and had a lot of help with decals and other upgrades wit West Coast Sailing. If you get a moment do a thread search for "74 restoration finally complete" ....helps in any way. Good luck and post pics! Eric

this is the current progress of my laser, its mostly when i cant sleep ill sneak out to the garage and do some fiberglass work. but as of now this is where im at. if anyone has any ideas, let me know. the daggarboard slot repair i did a while ago, and ive taken her out already, and this boat is solid, but the weight of the boat is amazing me, as of now shes at 133lbs. im impressed.

Attachments

• DSCI0044.jpg
    DSCI0044.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCI0045.jpg
    DSCI0045.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCI0046.jpg
    DSCI0046.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 125
oh by the way, does anyone have any soluions to repairing the stress cracks? i have some on the hull. and since im at this stage right now i want to repair them. pretty much since the boat is so light weight i want to use her for local races, and fool everyone thinking that i bought a new boat. hahaha. :D

this is the current progress of my laser, its mostly when i cant sleep ill sneak out to the garage and do some fiberglass work. but as of now this is where im at. if anyone has any ideas, let me know. the daggarboard slot repair i did a while ago, and ive taken her out already, and this boat is solid, but the weight of the boat is amazing me, as of now shes at 133lbs. im impressed.
...looks like a crime scene! :eek: haha

ya i know haha, but most of the repairs are very minor. they are the beaching scratches. since im doing all this work i might as well take care of everything. right?

My two cents: sand off all of the existing gelcoat, and replace it, either spray or roll the gelcoat. You need a compressor system, but it'll come out looking like a brand new boat.
Buff it if you want the shine too

thats what my plan is, but im planing on using the interlux perfection unless someone has a better and cheaper product. i dont want to use awlgrip due to the fact that it can kill me. :/

What I do on a restoration is once I have sanded the gouges and scratches and filled them with west system and a filler (406/407) like you did, I will completely fair the hull. Starting with a fairly aggressive grit sand paper and working in cross hatch patterns spending equal time at all stations to insure equality in the finish. I get down to 220 and start to clean up for paint. I will either spray on Awlgrip(I have a pro shoot this for me) or would use Perfection with a roller and brush to tip it. If you take the time to properly fair the bottom you will have an incredibly smooth bottom that is better than new, you will have not only smoothed out the scratches but also the highs and lows, imperfections of the mold when it was made.
With stress cracks, Ihave had good luck with a primer before painting, fills in little voids

Can you actually sand off gel coat and then re-apply it in a reasonable amount of time?

My old boat has a horrible gel coat color which is covered up by a decent rattle can spray job.

What I do on a restoration is once I have sanded the gouges and scratches and filled them with west system and a filler (406/407) like you did, I will completely fair the hull. Starting with a fairly aggressive grit sand paper and working in cross hatch patterns spending equal time at all stations to insure equality in the finish. I get down to 220 and start to clean up for paint. I will either spray on Awlgrip(I have a pro shoot this for me) or would use Perfection with a roller and brush to tip it. If you take the time to properly fair the bottom you will have an incredibly smooth bottom that is better than new, you will have not only smoothed out the scratches but also the highs and lows, imperfections of the mold when it was made.
With stress cracks, Ihave had good luck with a primer before painting, fills in little voids

what primer did you use? and are you hand sanding this? or orbital?

Can you actually sand off gel coat and then re-apply it in a reasonable amount of time?

My old boat has a horrible gel coat color which is covered up by a decent rattle can spray job.

whats the time frame you want? because if you can put in about 40-50 hours on the boat (depending on the prep work) its taken me a little while, but ive finished 2 lasers this year. and when i race them people just come up and offer me WAY more then they are worth and the time and materials in it. my only regret is not taking photos of them before and after. haha

I will get you the name of the primer. as far as sanding, all by hand, random orbitals just down work well with the curves of the hull. I use about a 2 foot long board and I use automotive long board self adhesive sand paper sheets, I get them at the local auto parts store or NAPA has them too. the best sand paper I have ever used, I use it for all my wood working now too. I sand in "X"(crosshatch) patterns and count strokes and make them e qual, normally 10's so it is simple math until it is time to swith grits. higher number grits, finer, you will use a lot more sand paper but it is worth it, I think the sheets cost like $0.70 a piece so it is not a lot. most of the cutting can be done with 120 or 180.

here is a similar project I did this spring

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    801.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Laser rehab.jpg
    Laser rehab.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 128
that is Awlgrip sprayed on. I go to 220 normally. The paint flows enough and then once it harden I rub it out with rubbing compound and a high speed wheel so its nice and smooth and shiny. That picture is before the rub out or wax

... but im looking for a couple of things. ... and these decals that are in the picture ive attached. i know i can go get them made by fast signs but i dont know the measurements. if some one can help me out that would be fantastic.

Yup, I found the original Sticker for the bowside of 2002 (as shown on the hull at the photo of your first reply).
I took this original sticker "as it is" to my scanner. So, don't look to the quality of the sicker itself (I did scan it from the backside) but to the measurements. Hope that helps.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Laser  Sticker Bowside   (1).jpg
    Laser Sticker Bowside (1).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 93
as of now ive painted half. and thank you veryy veryy much for scanning the stickers. :D

Attachments

• SANY0226.jpg
    SANY0226.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 75
  • SANY0227.jpg
    SANY0227.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 98

Back