Restoring a 1964 Sunfish

Choppie10

I'm currently restoring a 1964 Sunfish that I picked up for $300. I want to restore it 100% back to how it was the day it was produced. My Depersia bailer is stuck and I have tried a lot of different things to try and get it unstuck. Does anyone have one for sale or know of another way to get this one unstuck. This boat has had a lot of bad work done on it over the years till I purchased it. It had 3 different coats of paint. I have managed to get some of the original paint visible so I can repaint it the original green. I still have months of work but I just wanted your imput about what you thought about restoring this back to 100% original or time period correct.

If you enjoy that..go for it. Otherwise take the route that satisfies you to make it seaworthy. Restored will not enhance your value appreciably over your $300 investment.

Sounds like fun. I have a 69. The thing is though...you're not going to have an original finish...just the color. Potentially newer other parts also....which is fine of course. So you're really a long way from original. If "restored" is another definition from original, than thats another viewpoint. Im going to guess at an antique show, no one will know the difference and just appreciate a 50+ yr old boat.
These kinds of projects can be lots of fun for sure.

As far as the bailer...it may be stuck for good. Maybe some PB Blaster or like will help the threads. Seems you might have a 50 50 chance from reading these forums. If you see another for under $50...I d grab it as sometimes just the cap sells for that. New plastic ones are $46. Others here also have a good supply of parts too.

I have managed to get some of the original paint visible so I can repaint it the original green. I still have months of work but I just wanted your imput about what you thought about restoring this back to 100% original or time period correct.
. The deck was not painted from the factory. It was gelcoated. You'll never get the gel coat gloss and color back, so painting will not be original. You'll also end up with a more modern sail with a slightly different panel pattern than original. Hope you can find a decent green and white sail. BB

I'm currently restoring a 1964 Sunfish that I picked up for $300. I want to restore it 100% back to how it was the day it was produced. My Depersia bailer is stuck and I have tried a lot of different things to try and get it unstuck. Does anyone have one for sale or know of another way to get this one unstuck. This boat has had a lot of bad work done on it over the years till I purchased it. It had 3 different coats of paint. I have managed to get some of the original paint visible so I can repaint it the original green. I still have months of work but I just wanted your input about what you thought about restoring this back to 100% original or time period correct.
It's an aluminum nut on an aluminum base, and corroded into one piece. :confused:

I'd be very patient, flushing with PB Blaster every day, and giving the De Persia bailer a tap after every treatment. (The tap shocks the corrosion, "creeping" the fluid more thoroughly each time). The internals, if missing, can be reconstructed using information from this site.

Fullscreen capture 4302017 31541 PM.bmp.jpg

If giving up—don't! Use a dull chisel first, and strike the big inside nut from the top. This has the effect of slightly opening the nut, loosening it. Add more PB Blaster. As a last resort, use a sharp chisel to break the nut. A replacement nut can be had, on occasion, from members here. My guess is that the De Persia uses standard threads, and a new replacement can be found through a Grainger's catalog.

The housing is strong, so stick a heavy screwdriver in the opening, and turn from the outside.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I have the original sail that came with it. I believe all of the parts to be original. I have sprayed and sprayed PB blaster but I haven't tapped it so I will give that a try the next time.

Choppie 10,

I can sell you a used Sunfish DePersia bailer (without the rare screw-in cap) for $35 + $7 flat rate shipping. If you are interested, e-mail me at: [email protected] and I can reply with photos. If you have the screw-in cap, it will fit my bailer assemblies.

Sometimes the only way to remove an old bailer is to grind off the aluminum hex nut that holds the unit in place. A Dremel tool works well. Then if the screw-in cap is also seized, use the Dremel tool to carefully cut the shank lengthwise (taking care not to touch the threads of the cap.) Pry the shank open and remove the (hopefully) undamaged cap.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back