Replacing the block of wood for the forward pulley

aaron

Hello! Just wonder the easest way to replace the block of wood that holds the halyard pulley. Mine has seemed to rott over 40 years.

If you don't already have a port installed forward of your splashboard, now is a good time to install one. :)

The problemis I'd kind of like to keep it orignal, and I was wondering if you could replace it like you do the stern blockes of wood. Like I did earlier drill out the pop rivets, take off the trill, then use a razor blade to open it up.

That's an awful lot of work to do in order to replace the wood block. The only time I would even consider opening the hull is if the internal foam blocks were completely compromised and I wanted to replace them. Even then, I'd look for another hull rather than go through all that work.

You could open an inspection port and then patch it again but the issue with that is it's very hard to match the original gel-coat.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I would consider installing an inspection port behind the Splashguard. It gives access to the internals of the boat which is very handy as mentioned previously. Also, most Sunfish will leak water at some point in their lives and there is no way to dry them out (that I know of) without a port of some sort.

Back