Replacing my tiller

lbjones90

I've recently mangled my tiller, it was old and very soft anyway, and was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of material I would need to make a new one. Will any type of wood do or would it have to be a hard wood such as mahogany? Thanks in advance

The wood tillers were teak.

If you are looking to replace it for as cheaply as possible, ie free, broken hockey sticks or discarded lacrosse sticks work well. Otherwise, replacement sticks for hockey and lacrosse are fairly inexpensive at the big chain sporting goods stores

i've never heard of using a lacrosse shaft but it could work but i dont think it would fit in the rudder head to well.

let us know if using an old hockey stick works out, not much hockey around these parts, but it seems like it'd be a good fit....

Guess I'm showing my age :) Back in the 70's before there were carbon tillers, the only avail tiller from laser dealers was the stock wood teak tiller (The commerical round aluminum tillers weren't avail yet either) Alum 1" round tubing from the hardware store was considered a good racing upgrade, thru bolted to the rudder head (that way you didn't have to worry about fab'ing a sqaure end. The trav blocks jumped over that much easier then the square woodden tiller.

Shortly after the round 1" appeared, a few people discovered the lacrosse sticks - lighter and stiffer then the 1" round tubing at the hardware store and bolted to the rudder head in the same fashion. Now a days, with the popularity of lacrosse, you can find discarded titainium sticks, even lighter and stiffer then the stuff from the late 70's

The hockey stick replacements also appeared in the 70's from where else but the land of the maple leaf. Pretty easy to see understand.

The reason for the popularity of the carbon tiller ? It sits lower where the trav blocks cross it, it's super stiff, it fits tightly in the rudder head without having to bolt it and it's easily removable. Does it make you any faster ? That's debatable.

Back