Replacing Inspection Port

SevenShadow

Hi,

I have an old laser 1985? laser. It has an inspection port cut in it by the daggerboard case.

The top to this was lost so I need to replace it (I couldn't find a top that would fit the existing ring that is screwed into the hull).

So I was thinking that I could just take out the old ring, and put in a new one (hopefully) just bolting through the existing holes.

I have 3 questions. (Please forgive me because I am a real nubie when it comes to boat maintenance.)

First question is, what kind of silicon should I use to make sure the new port doesn't leak.

Second, does anyone know of a good boat maintenance site on the web where I could read up some more about the installation of inspection ports.

Thirdly, does this seem to make sense as an approach (not that I see another option).

Thanks!

Hi,

I have an old (1985? You can determine the age of your boat by looking at the serial number) Laser. It has an inspection port cut in it by the daggerboard case.

The top to this was lost so I need to replace it (I couldn't find a top that would fit the existing ring that is screwed into the hull). If the ring is the original you can screw in a Viking brand hatch cover or a Seadog imitation that Viking brand hatch cover

So I was thinking that I could just take out the old ring, and put in a new one (hopefully) just bolting through the existing holes. You can do exactly that. I suggest you buy #8 round head phillips machine screws, nylon insert lock nuts, and tiny washers

I have 3 questions. (Please forgive me because I am a real nubie when it comes to boat maintenance. If this counts as a question that makes Four.)

First question is, what kind of silicon should I use to make sure the new port doesn't leak. Silicon is great for making computer chips. I suggest you use silicone sealant. Other sealants tend to eat teh plastic ring. A small tube of any 100% silicone will do. Do not use Silicone II. Since all Silicone sealant is pretty much teh same stuff, you can use bathroom caulk, marine caulk, or automotice caulk..as long as it is 100% silicone

Second, does anyone know of a good boat maintenance site on the web where I could read up some more about the installation of inspection ports. You are here dude. Use the search feature or wait a few days and somebody helpful will publish the link for you. Meanwhile...Pull off the old ring. Fit the new ring and screws without using any sealant. Remove the new ring. Put a big fat bead of caulk all around the ring and mush it in place. If caulk does not ooze out 360 degrees around the ring, wipe it all off and start over. Put the screws in place. Tighten the nuts. Wait a day. Cut off the excess caulk. Remember: If you want a heavenly seal, you gotta caulk the hell out of it. Go sailing

Thirdly, does this seem to make sense as an approach (not that I see another option).
Would I write all that crap if ...wait...

May I ask one question??

OK now that I have observed your established protocol...

Would I write all this crap if I didn't think my directions would work??

Thanks! You're welcome. Remember, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.[/quote]

Hi gouvernail,

Thanks for the response. That is very helpful, and I am ready to push forward.

I really appreciate it!

Back