Replacing cleat

Jim Budde

New to Sunfish and this forum; searched archives and did not see answer .. forgive if my tri-focals overlooked something

Here's the question. The cleat just forward of mast is loose; tightening screws produces no change. "Sounds" like there is a backing plate under the deck that screws afixed to .. my question: how do I get to that backing plate so I can either prpoerly tighten the cleat or replace backing plate?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Budde.

IMG_6259.JPG Older boats had a wooden block (teak) under there for the backing plate, newer boats supposedly have a strip of metal (assume aluminum). Question of the day is how old is the boat, and how "louse" is louse? If it's not too lousy-goosy, and it's an older boat with teak, I'm thinking the same size screw(s), but a little longer - along with some Marine-Tex dipped onto the end of the screw(s). Here's what the wooden blocks look like as taken during the rudder conversion kit process - figure these older wooden internals are about about an inch and half wide. As for non-wooden internals....

If the wooden backing is rotten, you will need to replace it. This would require access via an inspection port.
If the backing plate is aluminum, filling the holes with epoxy (MarineTex is an epoxy) and reusing the screws might work.

As an aside, these days many Sunfishers use a cleat on the mast to secure the halyard. This takes strain of the deck cleat, which becomes more of a secondary to keep the rig with the boat in case of a flip.

Thanks, folks. Not sure, but suspect the boat is one of the earlier (but well cared for) Sunfish around . Friend who sails Sunfish often identified the wooden dagger board as an "old bugger". When I move the cleat, I think the sound I hear is more likely to be the teak backing, so I'm inclined to try the longer screw approach first .. but also like the cleat on mast idea. If the former is unsatisfactory, will install the later.

Thanks, again

Jim,
I would install the mast cleat anyway - it takes a lot of tension off the deck, and is really easy to install.
Intensity Sails has one for $10.

Img0175_106 mast cleat.jpg

Cheers,
Thad

I'm inclined to try the longer screw approach first .. but also like the cleat on mast idea. If the former is unsatisfactory, will install the later.
Use the longer screw, but determine the screw size—then, try the next size "up".

Back