Replacing a Laser 2 autobailer

farscape

Greetings,

This summer I became the 3rd owner of a 1985 Laser 2 and in time I've discovered that it needs some TLC. one of the things that needs to be replaced is the autobailer (Super ... 90, the black plastic one): doesn't work very well and it's leaking.

I bought an Andersson? stainless steel autobailer for "Laser 2 Regatta" from Sailboats in UK. I removed the old one with some difficulty - a few more screws added by the former owner - and then I tried to fit the new autobailer.

To my surprise, the original (6) screw holes don't fit, but are close enough to require to be filled out before new ones can be drilled. The existing cut out in the cockipt is also too wide and to make matters worse the new autobailer it's not "deep" enough such that it won't sit flush with the bottom of the hull.

If people have dealt with such an issue in the past I'd greatly appreciate any advice - I've found only one reference on the 'Net to something close to my story. Also I'd like know if anybody can recommend a good (boat) fibreglass repair place in my area, Ottawa.

Thank you,

Back