Replacement shrouds from Catalina

gregwcoats

Has anyone bought new shrouds from Catalina? If so, did they come with the stainless piece at the top of each shroud and did they come with the white plastic cut out where the shrouds attach to the spreader? Catalina wants about $65.00 for the pair, including shipping, I have no problem with the price, since my shrouds may be originals (1987). But I want to make sure I get exact replacements.

replacement shrouds

I bought new shrouds from Catalina last year. I haven't installed them yet. They do come with the upper tang and are vinyl coated all the way up. There is no cut-out area for the spreader. I also bought the forestay. Make sure you specify if you have the roller furling jib.

Roller furling

I just sent an email to Catalina ordering my new shrouds. I made sure they knew I did have roller furling. They said they would call me tomorrow to get my credit card info, I will tell them again that I have roller furling.

I received my new shrouds today, less than one week after ordering them. They are exact replacements for what I have on the boat. Both of the people I talked to at Catalina were very knowledgeable and friendly,. I stlll don't know the final price, due to shipping, but it should be between $55-$60.00. Now if those four little screws will come out easily....

Do you have a link to the place where you ordered the new shrouds? Mine are probably OEM from 1988, and it wouldn't hurt to replace them. thanks.

shrouds and whining

This is the number for Catalina (818) 884-7700. Unless they have recently changed, they have rather antiquated process in place for ordering parts. You call the number and get the part numbers for the parts you need. Then you call back or Fax the numbers to them and then they will call you back with your credit/debit card information. Sound lenghty? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about it, I just found found it a little strange at this point in time with internet commerce. Don't forget your forestay, especially if you have a roller-furling jib. Think of all the stress it goes through being wound up. Hope this helps.

I just got my new shrouds from Catalina. They came with two screws and a bolt, but my olds one have 4 screws. Has anyone seen this before? The bolt does not fit through either of the old screw holes in the mast.

The bolt that comes with the shrouds

I installed new shrouds this year and also ran across the bolt mystery. I believe there may have been a perceived problem with the screws (particularly the lower two of the screws on the tang that are next to the shroud) pulling out of the mast. I have never seen any complaints on this board of such a problem, but that is the only conclusion that I could come up with. Regardless, here is the solution. Drill the lower two screw holes in the mast to fit the bolt and install the bolt through the tangs and mast. I did this with the lower screw holes since they are under the most pulling out forces, with the top screws only maintaining the tangs vertically on the mast.

Once your shrouds are attached to the mast, you will need to bend the tang out a little to line up the shroud with the spreader. On advise, I think of Ed Jones in this forum, I do not cut out any of the plastic on the shroud to fit the spreader slot, but I have enlarged the slot in the spreader so that the shroud with the plastic fits. I use stainless steel seizing wire (West Marine) to keep the shroud attached to the spreader.

Hope this helps and happy sailing.

Spreader????

Is there a spreader on the Capri 14 or C-14?
Has anyone bought new shrouds from Catalina? If so, did they come with the stainless piece at the top of each shroud and did they come with the white plastic cut out where the shrouds attach to the spreader? Catalina wants about $65.00 for the pair, including shipping, I have no problem with the price, since my shrouds may be originals (1987). But I want to make sure I get exact replacements.

Back