replacement hiking strap

Jack

Much to the delight of my friends who were watching me sail in heavy air, my hiking strap broke yesterday.
It is the original that came with the boat. I think the boat is a 1982. I have seen some nice replacements in the Annapolis Performance Sailing Catalog, and the Layline catalog. I was thinking about getting a padded one this time. I was wondering what the drawbacks (if any) are. The large, 5" models look like it might be a bit to big in an already cluttered cockpit so I was going to go with the stock size.
Please let me know what your preferences are and why. Thanks.
Also, any opinions on the two mentioned mail order services would be appreciated. I have never dealt with either one.
Thanks,
-Jack

jack, i assume ur talking about width (i know i sound retarded by saying that but w.e).. mine is about 3" wide... maybe less, and its more then enough.... 5" is GINORMOUS!!! i like mine... its wide enough to give support.. but not too big that you cant fit yourfoot around it to get some decent hiking. and on another note.... 29" length is awsome. once you go padded, u never go back

c ya

I have had good service from both companies.
My pref is the 2.75" padded, I have sailed with the 2" padded and it's not as comfortable and a little more slippery when wearing boots.

I love my 3" padded Seitech hiking strap. I believe it is one of the most expensive avaliable, but it sure is compfy!

In my old laser, I used to have an adjustable hiking strap system that allowed to me to tighten the strap whilst hiking. It was a good system (I am not here to discuss the system) so I was disappointed when I bought my new boat and found the length of the new hiking strap was that long that I couldnt rig my adjustable system.

My suggestion, width=comfort, length=fuctionality!

Hope this helps.

wabbit :D

I have seen the huge straps being sold, but I hae never seen one on the water. I went with the rooster one (which at the time, and it may still be, was the cheapest one from APS) and love it. Dan

Back