Replace gooseneck

Indrek Aavisto

The goose neck on my 2012 Laser broke. It was a clean break at the bend of the flange for the rivets on one side. My previous boat also had a goose neck break in similar fashion. I wonder if there is a fault in either the design or manufacture of the fitting. It's a simple task to replace a goose neck: drill out the old rivets with a cobalt bit and install a new fittings with stainless steel rivets. My grip strength is not enough to close the handles on the riveting tool when installing stainless revets, but I solved that problem by resting one handle on the floor and standing on the other handle.

IMG_20190813_085811134.jpg

Bicycle shops often have a large riveter or better: an air-driven rivet gun. Coincidentally, last week, I've replaced 4 rivets on the boom of a 'polyvalk' (a widely used training boat for Dutch sailing schools here in Holland), using Monel rivets. I had to use an oversized riveter with long handles... then someone came up to me and said: "Why didn't you take the boom to the local bicycle shop down the road from the harbour...

Menno

Between the stainless steel rivets and the load the gooseneck must bear, you definitely need an industrial rivet gun,

Back