Replace fairlead for broken screw

Hi all,
I'm seeking assistance as to how to handle a broken screw on the fairlead next to mast step. A photo is attached. This is an '84 Laser.

Any advice on how to get the screw out? Im concerned that if we try to get the other screw out, it will break as we'll. Or could I simply mount a new fairlead right in front of (or next to) the old one? Is there anything to screw into immediately near the fairlead in either direction?

This is not for racing, just casual sailing.
Thanks for any advice.
JB

Attachments

• 20210801_092600.jpg
    20210801_092600.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 53
if you do some google searching you can find the diagrams for the wood blocking in the boats. there might be wood blocking under there. if there is, bumping that fairlead forward a half inch shouldnt be a a big deal. ive discovered that there are things screwed in places with no blocking though. just be sure to use stainless screws. those look like mild steel and maybe have rusted leaving those stains. you could also put in an inspection port and reach in there.

There should be a piece of wood between the skins at that point. I assume it's long enough so you can securely attach the fairlead to the area given in the measurement diagram, which is 2903 to 2947 millimetres from the aft edge of the hull. I'd unscrew the whole fitting (if the other screw breaks, too, doesn't really matter anymore) and reattach it maybe 10 mm aft of the original position with actual stainless (= acid resistant) screws.

(By the way, the deck colour indicates that your boat is at least a few years older than an '84. Or is the light just exceptionally red? What's the sail/hull number?)

_

This is a friends Laser that I am assisting him with. I don't have the hull# but there are small stickers on the back with Laser Canada 1984 on it. I do think we will be successful in moving the fairlead a bit to the aft....Thanks!

Back