Repairing small indentations/chips in Sunfish hull

PeterS

Hello all--

It's my first time repairing my new old Sunfish (actually my first time repairing any boat), and I have a few chipped areas I need to fill in. As the two attachd photos show, they are pretty small, and not at all deep (max of 1/8 inch deep). The largest is 2.5 in. by 1 inch, while the other prominent one is 1.5 inches by 0.5 inch.

I'm thinking that I'll just use marine epoxy to fill these in, available at West Marine. Does that sound about right, or should actually try to cram a layer of fiberglass in there to give it structure? It seems like that would be difficult to o given how shallow the indentations are.

Thanks for your help--

Attachments

• Sunfish hole_1.jpg
    Sunfish hole_1.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Sunfish hole_2.jpg
    Sunfish hole_2.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 55
Those look like voids (air bubbles during layup) as the gelcoat has cleanly broken away from the fiberglass. Either that or the gelcoat didn't make a good bond for some reason in that area. (Sweat drops!! ) Make sure it won't chip anymore, rough it up with some sandpaper and epoxy away. I like Formula 27, also at West Marine. Either choice won't need finishing as they are both waterproof, but gelcoat or paint would be the final cosmetic step. Matching color and fairing back to the original shape is the "science" to doing a great job. The rest is like applying drywall mud or spackle.

Those look like voids (air bubbles during layup) as the gelcoat has cleanly broken away from the fiberglass. Either that or the gelcoat didn't make a good bond for some reason in that area. (Sweat drops!! ) Make sure it won't chip anymore, rough it up with some sandpaper and epoxy away. I like Formula 27, also at West Marine. Either choice won't need finishing as they are both waterproof, but gelcoat or paint would be the final cosmetic step. Matching color and fairing back to the original shape is the "science" to doing a great job. The rest is like applying drywall mud or spackle.

Hey-- sounds good! Thanks for the help.

Best,

Peter

White MarineTex mender would be good for these repairs. Mask up the area to be repaired, mix up the MarineTex putty, apply and cover with a piece of clear plastic (from a Zip Lock bag) Shape the repair through the bag with your fingers and let the putty cure with with the bag on. When cured, the plastic will peel off and you can sand the area fair and then finish sanding with wet-or-dry 600 grit sandpaper used wet. Easy, permanent repair.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back