Repair Options for Stress Crack in Deck

gmccarthy6

I just purchased a 1975 Sunfish about 2mths ago from the original owner. Over the past 46 years she took excellent care of it, all original hardware, sail, manuals, and never applied sale numbers post-marked summer of 75. How cool! I buffed out the original gel coat and sprung for a Trailex-220-SUT to keep her pristine. She’s my baby, and I plan to keep her for quite a while even if larger boats come along.

Sadly, what began as small stress cracks on the unsupported cockpit deck have grown in size over my last 6-8 outings. Not helping matters, I’m a hefty sailor weighing in at about 215lbs. What’s the best way to extend her life? Vee it out with a Dremel and apply:

• Marine Tex or JB Weld Marine? Touchup the hairline repair with a brush and yellow paint. I don’t plan on redoing the gel coat of the entire deck.
  • West System 105-K Fiberglass Boat Repair Kit. Add some glass to the under side for reinforcement. I have zero experience here so it’ll be a restoration learning adventure.
  • Hire a pro. I’m afraid how much this will cost, but they can do it in a fraction of the time and fingers crossed it’ll buy me a few decades of sound use at penny (and quality) compared to a new boat.
Other options I haven’t considered? Bottom hull is in excellent shape. I don’t believe there have ever been any repairs to date.

Attachments

• image_40037873.JPG
    image_40037873.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • image_123923953 (1).JPG
    image_123923953 (1).JPG
    923.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image_123923953 (2).JPG
    image_123923953 (2).JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image_123923953.JPG
    image_123923953.JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 52
I'm somewhat lighter, but most of the damage you're describing occurred with the prior owner of my Sunfish. I refer to this Sunfish as my "ex-racer", as fast-tacking can "insult" the cockpit deck area. It was actually raced by a much lighter skipper than I am, but the damage had already been done,. It continues to "creep" around the tub.

Even though my deck is white, I won't attempt to do what is essentially cosmetic repairs to the gelcoat. But I'd try a Dremel, if time was available. Well, not time, exactly. What I meant was no wind. ;)

The trick to this repair is to use "biaxial" tape. (Available online). Working with the Sunfish suspended overhead (so you can stand) will ease the work process. Here's where a forum search turned up these same concerns.1629162364531.png
1629162364531.png

Click below, and scroll to post #18...

New Sunfish owner with boat needing repairs & ID the year | SailingForums.com

Last edited:
Those cracks are not bad. But fixing the cracks from the top isn’t a solution. The cracks will reform. Multiple layers of glass in the underside should stop the flexing so cracks don’t get worse. For a 47 yo boat she looks pretty good!!

I’m also in CT- how did I miss that boat?? It’s a beauty, for sure!

I understand why those stress cracks are hard to see, especially on an otherwise pristine hull. As mentioned, reinforcing with fiberglass tape from underneath the cockpit lip will prevent more damage. Hanging the boat wouldn’t be do-able for me, but upside down on a pair of sawhorses will certainly work.
The best of the methods is Dremel and fill. I really like West System G-Flex for such a job, using an old credit card to fill the cracks completely. Marine Tex or Six-10 or FlexPoxy would be other options I might try. Matching the color will be tough, but you can come close, I’m sure.
Most would probably say ignore it and go sailing. I’d probably work on it to prevent it from worsening.

Fix from underneath as suggested. Leave the stress crack alone on the deck at this point. You'll never match the gelcoat color and if you do, may not match in 2 years....meaning your repair will be MUCH more visible than the small crack now...especially if you have no experience applying and matching gelcoat. Your goal is to stop it from getting worse at this point. Underneath will be the strongest and you'll never see it either.

Beautiful boat! Was she in that condition when you picked her up? And does she have a name yet?

Gelcoat dries and shrinks with age, so those cracks could also just be the natural degradation of the gelcoat.

Back