Repair of structural supports inside cabin

c14_JohnM

Capri Guys,

I am not sure whether my Capri has been repaired with sub-standard materials, or whether it was originally manufactured with sub-standard materials.

When I take the hatch cover off, on the immediate left and right sides are pieces of plywood, set vertically, about 1 foot wide by 2 feet tall. It appears that the prior owner used small fiberglass patches to re-attach these plywood pieces to the interior of the hull. The fiberglass patches have ruptured and the plywood supports are loose.

I have cut-out the old fiberglass pieces and am preparing to lay larger fiberglass patches in their place. But, before I do this, are the plywood pieces the correct material to have in this position?

The plywood seems to have dried-out and has quite a bit of age - seemingly weakening their intent.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks,
John

I can't speak for your boat, and I haven't had mine that long, but mine is the exact same way. The pathetic pieces of fiberglass are kinda useless to hold the plywood in there. I also had issues with the mast support so I re-enforced everything and basically built a brace to hold the mast and side supports that are directly attached to those plywood pieces you refer to. I used pressure treated wood.

Back