repair of large cracks in sunfish deck

sailinagin

This sunfish sat upside down in a neighbor's yard for many years, supported at locations of giterdone repairs below. I rescued it from a trip to the dump. Serial Number 18617 = year 1974(?)
Removed the repairs, revealing continuous single cracks through the deck at both locations that I bevel-sanded 1-2" out on both sides.
sunfish deck cleaned1.JPG

First time Sunfish Repair Technician, so would appreciate comments/added detail on rough outline of repair plan:
1. Cut hole for 6" inspection port into center back wall of well.
2. Cut hole for 5" inspection port between mast hole and bow damage.
3. Flip sunfish on sawhorses, then strengthen both areas by laying 2 layers of fiberglass mat thru the ports.
4. Fill cracks from top with fiberglass putty to maximize repair strength.
5. Smooth deck for painting with body filler.
6. Prime and paint (tip and roll Interlux Brightside paint -open to primer recommendations)
7. Install inspection ports. (open to brand/supplier recommendations)
8. Sail!
Goal is to do this right, but showroom condition not important.

Thanks for your time!

I'm considering the mat underneath to add strength because both cracks are thru the deck and cover large areas.
If just beveling 1-2" and laying narrow mat in the resulting groove has an excellent chance of being a good lasting repair, I'm all for it!

-Does this normally provide a strong, lasting repair for this kind of damage? If yes, my project is easier and less expensive than I thought!

Thanks for your time.

You need to get both sides of that repair. There is a way to do it w/out inspection port (i've done it but not easy), but I would cut one for ease and better fix. These boats don't have that much stress on them to worry about another inspection port.

No comment on repairs, but boat is not 1974. Because of the "old" style rudder, it's probably pre 1972. If there is no storage compartment, it is likely pre 1971. Anyway, get her fixed and get her sailing. Good luck.

You will want to grind out all of the damaged, delaminated fiberglass. You'll know it because it looks whiter than good fiberglass. If you repair over delaminated fiberglass, it will make for a much weaker repair. There is a method for patching holes from below without the need for an inspection port. There is a PDF of how to do it on the Yahoo Sunfish_Sailor forum, but there is the picture that is worth 1000 words..
ScreenSnapz.jpg

Thanks very much for all your replies confirming repair from below is required. Very good info! The trick to avoid an inspection port is tempting, but I'd have to cut out big sections of the deck. The patch would be so big I'm concerned about getting adequate pressure all around the perimeter. Douglas, nice job and excellent video -you set the bar high.

Have to study the provided links and then do some thinking. I'll probably stay with the inspection ports -haven't seen concern (weaken structure/etc) with installing them in the back wall of the well and toward the bow. Appears they'll be handy to maintain the boat dry too.

Are all inspection ports and suppliers equal?

Sanded-out the deck damage (shown). Will fix using an offset 6" inspection port hole near each location to work between foam blocks as much as possible.
Goal is a lasting quality repair (not a show winner), at reasonable cost for a 1964 Sunfish.
A West Marine store is 15mi away, appears that's where I should get advice and supplies?
West prices are scary. How much should I expect to spend at West Marine for materials to fix these cracks ?
Any recommended products before I hear the counter guy's recommendations?
Thanks for your time-
BOW CRACK.JPG STERN CRACK 1.JPG

Thanks for linking your material list, it definitely helped! For my repairs, West System epoxy products and Interlux paint products total approx $275. OUCH! I'm considering scrapping the inspection ports and doing the repair only from above to save $50.

Also considering standard polyester fiberglass repair materials and Krylon spray paint and hope that holds up awhile. I have some Evercoat Fibertech reinforced repair compound filler ("polyester compound formulated with Kevlar and other high tech reinforced fibers"). It is good stuff, and may be worth a try on these cracks. If it doesn't work, can always grind it out and redo the repairs.

This Sunfish is nearly 50 years old, so $300 for materials to Do The Job Right seems like a questionable investment and is much more than I want to spend.
Plan B will cost <50 bucks, so worth a try. If I go with Plan B and the repair doesn't hold up well I promise to post again and be an example for others!

i've just painted the topside of one of my boats with rustoleum topside (pics to come) - a definite economic decision @$15/quart its well worth it

This Sunfish is nearly 50 years old, so $300 for materials to Do The Job Right seems like a questionable investment and is much more than I want to spend.
Plan B will cost <50 bucks, so worth a try. If I go with Plan B and the repair doesn't hold up well I promise to post again and be an example for others!
$300 or even $500 may seem like a lot to spend on an old hull. But if you consider this as an investment, it may well be justified.
1. If necessary, one should be able to sell this Sunfish for an amount that would allow one to recoup the 'investment'
2. Many Forum members take considerable pleasure in showing up on the water with a boat that looks good
3. Also consider that new Sunfish sell for many times that amount

Wavedancer, thanks for your perspective-
I understand that anyone active on this forum takes great pride in the appearance of their Sunfish, and my "Plan B" is likely akin to blasphemy in your eyes.

The repairs the way I intended (and the way you and other serious Sunfish sailors on this forum would approve) is far more expensive than I thought. I called it a "questionable investment" because the main goal of getting young relatives out on the water and some sailing days for myself appears achievable for far less. The cost of a new Sunfish or what I could get for this one with $300 in repairs aren't factors that apply in this decision. If this Sunfish sails and doesn't leak, but has a less than perfect finish then we'll be happy sailors.

If Plan B doesn't work, it is reversible. Regardless, the appearance of this Sunfish will be greatly improved.

Back