removing Super Shute 90 bailer (Laser II)

laser lancelot

laser lancelot
Greetings , I’m attempting to rebuild or replace my Super Shute bailer and it seems like it’s kind of glued in there rather well. I’m wondering if I can use a heat gun to break the seal or if anybody has any other ideas about helping me get it out without destroying the hull ? I also have several osmosis bubbles that I am grinding down and draining and going to refill. I was wondering what everyone thought about using interlux 2000e with a catalyst as a primary coat and then put in interlux bottom paint. She typically stays in the water year-round. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Lancelot's boat is a Laser 2.

What would "rebuilding" mean here? Replacing is tough as that model has been out of production for a while. There was recently some talk about replacing it with an Andersen, but there was no consensus on how to proceed.

_

im thinking a new self bailer is the way to go ! Any thoughts on removal ? all 6 bolts are removed .Heat ,Chemicals and /or patience and cajolling ?

there is no anderson etc thats a direct drop in. theres an internal gasket/seal that goes around the chute that ive not disassembled. going at a decent pace....the thing drains awesome enough that even with the water that leaks past that seal water still never sits int he cockpit. i think ive just resolved to leave mine alone. i got the seam between the hull and cockpit to stop leaking. and water over the bow or gunwhale is just life. so youre getting wet anyway.

ive not found rebuild kits or the seal. i think best course of action would be to pull the entire thing. glass in the existing opening. and install something newer that has rebuild kits easily available. the plastic bailers i think will always leak with no way to rebuild. though i do think you could 3d print the pieces. which is really really tempting.

im thinking a new self bailer is the way to go ! Any thoughts on removal ? all 6 bolts are removed .Heat ,Chemicals and /or patience and cajolling ?
mine was life sealed in. i cut out around with a utility knife and exacto. then just shoved it through from the bottom/outside. if youre not going to reuse it....beat the crap out of it. save it though. people might want parts later.

there is no anderson etc thats a direct drop in. theres an internal gasket/seal that goes around the chute that ive not disassembled. going at a decent pace....the thing drains awesome enough that even with the water that leaks past that seal water still never sits int he cockpit. i think ive just resolved to leave mine alone. i got the seam between the hull and cockpit to stop leaking. and water over the bow or gunwhale is just life. so youre getting wet anyway.

ive not found rebuild kits or the seal. i think best course of action would be to pull the entire thing. glass in the existing opening. and install something newer that has rebuild kits easily available. the plastic bailers i think will always leak with no way to rebuild. though i do think you could 3d print the pieces. which is really really tempting.
thanks buddy

any advice on replacing daggerboard gasket for a laser2?
if you mean the carpet stuff....well....i bought a welcome mat from lowes. with a striped pattern. its black. i cut it into strips then used super 77 and glued it in. its about the perfect snug fit. it was 8 dollars. and i figured if it didnt work it wasnt going to kill me. it looked to me like there was some kind of carpet or something in there. i have no clue if its even close to what was original. but it worked for me. you could also probably use contact cement. my boat leaked everywhere. its taken a few months to actually get it so that the hull is completely reliably dry. it leaked at the dagger trunk. under that stuff. i used an inflation device thats for blowing up air mattresses. it came with a bunch of diffrerent sized nozzles and doesnt put out a ton of psi. just enough to raise the deck a tiny bit. waaay better than compressed air from a tank. that in the drain hole with a bunch of water with dish soap and i found leaks everywhere.

i even tried filling the hull with water so see where it leaked out. it didnt work. i did flll the entire cockpit though to check my block strap seals and water dripped pretty at a pretty good rate around the gasket for the little hatch door on the bailer.

just picked up an l2. the bailer looks nice. no idea how it works and im not going to fiddle with it. if you want it....pm me here. ill send pics.

Back