Removing sail rings

Whistler

What is the best way to remove sail rings without breaking them? They have been on the sail a number of years, but look in good condition. Any tricks?
The Whistler :confused:

Bob,
A while ago, someone suggested using a cheap metal hole punch with part of the bottom ground off. I had one on hand, ground about half the hole away, thinned the bottom to about 1/8", removed the spring guide in between the jaws and shortened the anvil a little. Make sure everything is smooth so you do not snag the sail. A Dremel tool with a cut off wheel helps with the modification. It took a few test fits to get it right, but now works fine. It does take a good hard squeeze, but it beats using 2 screwdrivers trying to pry the clip apart. The other alterative is to use diagonal pliers to cut the post, this is just barely faster, but ruins the clip. (OK if you are replacing the clips). Spending $16 bucks or so for new clips every few years is good insurance against clip breakage on the water. Some sailors also use small diameter no stretch line to replace some of the clips.

They can easily be pryed open using one very large square tip screwdriver. Just be careful not to pinch the cloth. One side against the grommet, the other against the nylon sail ring. Just twist the screwdriver.

Al Courtines

Al and supercub, Thanks for the response. I tried both methods and a few other things (heating them up to soften?, a drop of mystery oil, needlenose visegrips), but my rings were quite brittle and I only managed to open about six successfully. Grommets on the sail were not in the best shape as well, so I was careful of them. New rings it is! ;)

Back