Removing DePersia Bailer

Curious George

I have a 1975, (red, white, and blue)built for the bi centennial. I am trying to keep as original as possible.
The bailer is frozen. I have been trying to loosen it with PB Blaster, to get it on to my work bench to see if I can loosen it.
Also, have not gotten anything to budge, the lock nut inside the cockpit seem frozen too. Any suggestions, to get this out or to work correctly?

I would clamp a vice-grip type wrench to the nut and use a hammer to tap it back and forth until it starts to come loose. I sort of did this with my DePersia bailer from a old Viking that I disposed of but the bailer was clamped to a vice. Eventually the nut loosened up.

Put a big screwdriver in the outside vent. Turn the nut (as above) with a 1-1/2 inch socket. (The same size socket as a water heater element socket = $8.00 at hardware stores).

Stay with the PB Blaster and tap with a hammer every day—it may take several days. You're using chemistry—be patient! ;)

If unsuccessful, come back—there's more you can do—but it's not pretty! :eek:

I agree with L&VW. PT Blaster is the penetrating oil choice, but it takes time. As a last result, get a tiny drill bit and drill a very shallow hole (about 1/8"deep) into the inside threads and squirt more PT Blaster into the hole. That may allow the fluid to get into the threads and allow the large socket to unscrew the nut. The idea is that you are trying to save the large nut as they are almost impossible to replace.

Alan Glos
Cazenovias, NY

I'd misplaced my PB Blaster when trying to loosen a large steel turnbuckle. :(

WD-40 wasn't effective. :oops:

But found a can of Rust Buster, which was every bit as effective as PB Blaster--maybe more! :cool: The colors on the can reminded me of CRC Lubricants, Penetrants & Oils.

Make that Rust Bust.

I have no idea how old the can is, but it's working on saving my lock-smithing kit that got swamped by Hurricane Irma, and had almost become one piece before I moved a box and discovering it.

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 412021 65703 PM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 412021 65703 PM.bmp.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25
If unsuccessful, come back—there's more you can do—but it's not pretty! :eek:

Yes, when all else fails you can slap some C-4 or gelignite on that bailer, which will DEFINITELY remove it, LOL... might wanna stand clear or take cover when that happens, AYE? ;)

Reminds me of a time when some Seal Team/UDT guys trained in underwater demolition used det cord and a small amount of explosives to loosen a frozen screw on a shaft aboard a ship we were refurbishing at the time... worked like gangbusters, LOL. Screw was wired with a cable in case it slipped off the shaft... :rolleyes:

I remember drinking beer with those guys later, praising 'em because they didn't use too LITTLE, and they didn't use too MUCH... pretty good hands with explosives and underwater demolition, those guys. Moi, I probably would've VAPORIZED the screw, shaft, stern end of the boat, etc., etc. :confused:

LIVE & LEARN, YOUSE NAUTICAL HEE-ROES!!! AND BE CAREFUL WITH THAT DEMO WORK, YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO F#% UP, LOL. :D

Back