Removing Decals from Fibreglass

Zoophyte

Anyone out there have a brilliant idea for removing old decals from my beloved Laser's fibreglass hull?

Why you ask? Well, my yacht club insists on placing the latest year’s membership decal on the transom in a blank space rather than covering the previous year. With space having run out, last year they strategically placed the decal near the bow beneath the gunwale. Before they plaster another on the bow I've begun the process of removing the transom decals. Now some of them came off relatively easy but left their sticky residue. The older ones flake apart and are taking forever to remove.

So, any brilliant ideas?

Thanks in advance to you all.
Jon

Use a hair dryer to heat the sticker just enough so that it starts to peel. Than use a razorblade like henri said.

Just like with old skateboard griptape.

Hears a trick that works wonders.
step 1 heat up the sticker for about 5 minutes
step 2 spray the sticker with wd-40 around the edges
step 3 get a raser blade or spatula and scrub it off
This should even work on your toughest stickers.

Be careful with that razorblade.It is real easy to leave scratches. I use a plastic putty knife and a heat gun. Then I use 3M adhesive remover. It is great stuff. I usually get it for free from the sign shop that does my graphics on my landscaping trucks and trailers.

Barometer Soup

And, be careful with heat. It works great for softening the glue holding the sticker in place, but it also introduces blisters into the gelcoat.

As with anything else, be aware of what you're doing. Enough heat to soften the glue and then begin peeling it back. Keep applying just enough heat so that the glue softens/comes up rather than tearing the decal.

Finish residue removal with goo gone.

Just got back from a successful afternoon at the sailing club removing the decals. Following all your excellent suggestions I went prepared with a $10 hair dryer (**), Goo Gone, WD-40 and a fine plastic scraper.

I was pleasantly surprised that the decals needed minimal heat (maybe 15+ seconds) before scraping one corner enough to grab on and peel the remainder off. Once I had removed all the decals I liberally applied the Goo Gone, letting it soak in, then gently used the plastic scraper to remove the majority of the adhesive. 1/3 of a bottle of Goo Gone, a little WD-40 and several rags later the transom was looking pretty clean, though the adhesive had created some minor stains and obligatory non-faded areas. After leaving to dry for an hour or so I gave it a quick and gentle rub down with 1000 grit w&d s.p. which returned it to an almost pristine state, quite the handsome transom.....

So a million thanks to all of you for replying, I really appreciate the great advice.

Jon

** I had to buy a hairdryer as I buzz cut my hair every two weeks and had never owned one before. Sure got some interesting looks from the sales associate when I asked her to recommend a hair dryer!!

Back