Removing Coaming

btsunfish

Hi,
I've had spome problems removing the coaming on my 1971. The backing hardware (what the screws screw into) on some of the screws broke loose and just spins when I try to unscrew it. I was able to get most of the "problem screws" out with a pair of pliers gripping the hardware from inside the hull (I have inspection ports on either side of the daggerboard trunk) but three of the offending bits are at the ends of the coaming, behind the foam blocks where I can't reach. Another screw's head broke off as I was removing it, and the shank is still in the deck. My questions are:
1. How do I remove the spinning harware that I can't reach?
2. Can I replace the spinning parts with nuts where I can reach?
3. How do I screw the coaming back on in the areas with spinning hardware which I can't reach?
4. What about the broken screw?
Thanks,
Brian

If you're not going the pop rivet route, you will have to dig out some foam to install Locknuts with Fender Washers under the deck. I had rivet-nuts pull out on one end above the foam blocks. I glued them back in place with Marine Tex.

You can try drilling and tapping the broken screw, it will not be easy. If that fails you can drill out the entire rivet nut. Or, you just leave as is. Should not be a problem if you don't have kids pushing on the splash rail all the time like I do.

Do as search on this forum, this is a common topic.

Ok I found the way I want to go (rivet nuts) but where do you buy these things? Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to carry them.

I'm confused about rivet nuts. A rivet binds by lateral compression and a nut binds by vertical compression. I would think a rivet is the solution. It's interesting to read that the solution to so many SF ills is to create an "inspection port", a needy SF deck must resemble a manhole convention.

Standard rivets are for joining two pieces of metal. A rivet gun is placed on the head and a bucking bar is used on the other end. I doubt fiberglass would withstand the pounding for more than a few seconds.

Pop rivets are quick and easy to drill out if you wish to remove them.

Do a Google Search for Rivet Nuts, it's going to be mail order. You have to weigh the cost of the Rivet Nut tool and whether it's worth it for a one time application. They would be a nice solution to the installation of retro-fit Hiking Straps. Could also reduce the need cut inspection ports.

Ok I found the way I want to go (rivet nuts) but where do you buy these things? Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to carry them.[/quote]

..Go to Fastenal.com. they have every rivet nut known to man. They sell them ones and twos at a time. I paid $0.66 each for mine. I went to my hardware store to rent the rivet nut tool for $10 a day, they knew me and just let me borrow it for nothing. It was so easy (installing), even a caveman could do it! It worked out well in my application.

Good luck.

Back