Removing a Bad Paint Job

nickzup

My recently-puchased 1966 Sunfish came with a poorly executed, poorly aged top paint job. I'm planing to just enjoy sailing the boat this summer, then putting some time in during the winter to get it looking a little better. I've read through all the thread on gelcoat wet sanding and/or top paint and think I would be able to do a nice job. If the gelcoat looks good underneath, I think I'll just wet sand to try and restore it. If not, I'll probably do Interlux Brightside or similar with the proper prep work.

Main issue is going to be removing the old paint. It is flaking in areas all over the bow, but is pretty solid around the cockpit and stern. Not sure what kind of paint it is, but definitely was laid on thick. Since it's flaking so badly, I don't want to just paint over it. Determined to do the job right. I took a pass at it with my orbital sander and 320 grit paper, but it wasn't really removing much material. My main question is how low of a grit I can get away with without damaging the gelcoat underneath the paint. Also open to anyother suggestions to deal with it!

IMG_6275 2.jpgIMG_6276.jpgIMG_6277.jpgIMG_6278.jpg

We've gone as low as 60 getting chunky stuff off. Use light pressure. You can also use a razor blade to scrape. Then bumped up to 120. As you get to gelcoat you'll see if the gelcoat can be saved. If there are a lot of gelcoat issues and you decide to paint, then all you need to do is sand until you get smooth surfaces to apply primer over.

Buttercup deck before.jpg

You might want to experiment with an old fashioned paint remover like Stripeze (sp?) or the like. Mask up a 1" x 1" square and then dab on little paint remover. Wait for the paint to bubble then wipe off with a little fine steelwool. Oh yeah, wear gloves and eye protection + good ventelation - you are messin' with some pretty nasty stuff. If this removes the old paint and doesn't damage the gelcoat, you may have an easy way to get all the old paint off. Consider taking the aluminum edge trim off first. Just drill out the existing aluminum pop rivets with a 1/8" drill bit (don't drill all the way through) The trim is easy to reinstall with new pop rivets.

Do not use a heat gun - high heat would soften and damage the gelcoat.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

If that area took 15 minutes, just enjoy your lemonade and spend a day sanding it off...IF the paint stripper doesnt work better. Its not like its a 38 foot A scow....and its on the topside....easiest surface to sand.
Seems you were headed in the right direction. Mark your winter calendar!

Back