Regatta Fee Poll

What is a reasonable fee per day for a major Sunfish regatta?

• Under $30

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • $30-39

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • $40-49

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • $50-59

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Over $60

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
A timely post, Geezer!

Honestly, for a MAJOR regatta (NA's, midwinters, districts), I don't think 30-40 per day of sailing is out of the question as they have to feed you, provide for a RC which is sometimes a paid position, and buy trophies and give aways, and a lot of times there is live entertainment.

We have had local regattas (not sunfish) with all donated time, some donated food, and effort with only some token trophies to buy for $10 or $20 a head.

Tim Polaski said:
A timely post, Geezer!

Honestly, for a MAJOR regatta (NA's, midwinters, districts), I don't think 30-40 per day of sailing is out of the question as they have to feed you, provide for a RC which is sometimes a paid position, and buy trophies and give aways, and a lot of times there is live entertainment.

We have had local regattas (not sunfish) with all donated time, some donated food, and effort with only some token trophies to buy for $10 or $20 a head.

I agree. Around $40 a day isn't too bad for a major regatta if they provide all the food, free booze, T-shirts etc. But Lewes originally were going to charge $95 a day for juniors and $75 a day for seniors. They are still charging over $60 a day - and I see from the poll results that a couple of people think that's OK.

570 registered users and 21 votes. Does this mean less than 10% of the forum races. Might be the class would be better off running the big regatta's every other year.

BTW nobody can see how you vote. This is important stuff for the future of the class.

jsdeimel said:
570 registered users and 21 votes. Does this mean less than 10% of the forum races. Might be the class would be better off running the big regatta's every other year.

BTW nobody can see how you vote. This is important stuff for the future of the class.

Maybe if we charged $225 to vote we'd get a bigger turnout? Just a thought. :D

(Shameless Plug) Our fee is only $10 and includes lunch for two!!! We also offer free camping and/or boat storage for out of towners!!! Come and race on May 28th in Portsmouth, VA at the Merrimac Memorial Regatta! Check out my post about this race, or our website portsmouthboatclub.org/
-Jack

I just registered my daughter for an Opti regatta in Clearwater Fl....70 bux...two lunches and maybe a teeshirt.Good thing I have one kid.

esteroali said:
I just registered my daughter for an Opti regatta in Clearwater Fl....70 bux...two lunches and maybe a teeshirt.Good thing I have one kid.

Sounds like a good deal. The Sunfish Junior NAs were $190 for 2 days.

Jeez... so maybe the reason I am not getting any response to the Merrimac is because it is too inexpensive???

Jack H said:
Jeez... so maybe the reason I am not getting any response to the Merrimac is because it is too inexpensive???

Sunfush sailors love cheap regattas. Stick to your guns. Maybe you will get more sailors than Lewes do for the North Americans! Good luck.

I like the old fashion one day regata's.
last week FT Myers fleet raceing $10 Great fun good practice.
This weekend The Jabo Gorden Regata $15. pizza, Tshirt. 18 boat's 11 kids 6 masters
and a (bitter end) Lady's sailing group. The best! Boy can the kids sail 4 out of the top 5 I do believe. And so polite as they passed you. Doing great Mr M. See Ya!
This weekend Sailfest $60. Sorry I have to weed kill around the yard.

Back