Refurbishing a Vintage SF - Where to Start

Just finishing up the fairing of the hull. Found a great sanding gadget for the hull.
I may try that, when does the painting start and what are you using? My primer and easypoxy should be here today. I need to do some more sanding, then acetone and taping off the alum trim. I'll post a pic of before and after.

Ill prime and paint the hull later. In a few months maybe. Just flipped her over to start working on the deck. I've removed all of the hardware and am trying to remove the splash guard but there are five bolts the spin free but won't come out.

Any suggestions on how to remove them?

First coat of easypoxy primer, before and after, I'll let it dry tonight then sand and 2nd coat tomorrow. It filled a lot of the spider cracks, but I still have some pinholes. Mistakes made, should have worn gloves, and should have shook the paint, and stirred a lot more first. I poured some of it out and had to repour it into the can to remix. I can also tell that I should have used a bit more marine tex in areas and sanded more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 88
I get the impression after reading this thread that even though Easypoxy is billed as topside paint and West Marine's description of Ezprime says not for use below the waterline it's OK to use both of them on the hull.

So, three coats of easy poxy primer on, with sanding between each coat. I still have some pock marks. Will the easy poxy paint fill those in, or should I go back to marine tex? Or am I being too picky on a 40 yr old boat, will she always look a certain age, like me, no matter how much lipstick I put on her? I have 2 qts, one semi gloss white and one buttercup yellow. Looks like I will just need one quart to do the hull. Yellow or white? Stripes will be yellow and blue on the the deck. Sending back my line package that I ordered, thought the lines would be white, they sent me red and black/pink, the horror! Ordering yellow insignia cloth for either a sunfish logo or a buttercup. Too much fun!

Sending back my line package that I ordered, thought the lines would be white, they sent me red and black/pink, the horror! Ordering yellow insignia cloth for either a sunfish logo or a buttercup. Too much fun!
Most cordage isn't white these days; grey perhaps...
Perhaps it has something to do with each kind of line having a unique color/signature???

Years ago, I used (Interlux?) "Topside" to paint one of my catamarans. The instructions said not to expose "Topside" below the waterline for any longer than two hours, which worked for me, since I always pulled the cat up on the beach. The first time I went sailing, the hulls got a case of chicken pox.
:(

Made my first two blind patches today. The first one went well, though I might have used a bit too much resin. The second was a disaster. I put it in and tightened up the string. A little while later I thought it was fine so I took the tension off the string and went to go clean sone stuff up. When I looked again at the boat my second patch had disappeared. Dropped down into the hull. I fished it out but it was ruined. I then fabricated a new patch and it worked great.

I've cut two inspection ports and rigged my drying system. Right now the fish is wrapped up in a black tarp letting the patches cure and the dryer do it's work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 107
Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 104
So, three coats of easy poxy primer on, with sanding between each coat. I still have some pock marks. Will the easy poxy paint fill those in, or should I go back to marine tex? Or am I being too picky on a 40 yr old boat, will she always look a certain age, like me, no matter how much lipstick I put on her? I have 2 qts, one semi gloss white and one buttercup yellow. Looks like I will just need one quart to do the hull. Yellow or white? Stripes will be yellow and blue on the the deck. Sending back my line package that I ordered, thought the lines would be white, they sent me red and black/pink, the horror! Ordering yellow insignia cloth for either a sunfish logo or a buttercup. Too much fun!

For pockmarks I worked EZPrime into the holes, took 2 coats worked in with fingers. Or try EZFair with a spreader. I'd avoid marine tex for that because it is hard to sand that much.
I vote white hull, yellow deck with white blue white triple stripe.

Who sent line package? Call them and see if they will color coordinate to your boat, Yankee Boating Center usually does if you ask.

Getting close! Neighbor gave me this tiller extension/hiking sticky off one of his many old boats. Is this usable and if so, how do I get this embedded screw of of the original tiller handle, or do I have to cut off the handle and redrill a hole?:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 108
All you need to do is give it a little heavy persuasion (hammer) on the threaded end and it should pop right out.

Made my first two blind patches today. The first one went well, though I might have used a bit too much resin. The second was a disaster. I put it in and tightened up the string. A little while later I thought it was fine so I took the tension off the string and went to go clean sone stuff up. When I looked again at the boat my second patch had disappeared. Dropped down into the hull. I fished it out but it was ruined. I then fabricated a new patch and it worked great.

I've cut two inspection ports and rigged my drying system. Right now the fish is wrapped up in a black tarp letting the patches cure and the dryer do it's work.

Hola Inland

Looking good. I offer a suggestion that you carefully thread some screws back into the holes for the deck hardware, like the bridle eyestraps, halyard block etc....other wise the wooden backer block may fall off inside the hull. I tape around them when I paint.

Nothing like a little late afternoon sun to show you just how bad of a job you did fairing your hull. :(

Plus, I have more bubbles that are appearing under the gelcoat that I have to sand out. And I was just about to start painting the hull, too.

But, some progress has been made. I re-attached my blocker plates for the halyard block and cleat, repaired the hole in the bow, and have finished fairing the deck. I also faired and painted the splash guard.

Painting the hull starts tomorrow. :)

I'm pretty happy with the repair in the nose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 86
Yellow or white? Stripes will be yellow and blue on the the deck. Ordering yellow insignia cloth for either a sunfish logo or a buttercup. Too much fun!
Yellow hull will give the boat more of a custom look, so I vote yellow. Please don't put a buttercup on the sail! A Sunfish would look much better. BB

Two coats of primer on the hull. Should it be concerned that I used one quart of primer for the hull? Should I be thinning this stuff out?

I start with the EZPoxy on the hull tomorrow. Unless someone says that I should get some thinner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 93
Two coats of primer on the hull. Should it be concerned that I used one quart of primer for the hull? Should I be thinning this stuff out?

I start with the EZPoxy on the hull tomorrow. Unless someone says that I should get some thinner.

No, a hull in the shape you had would take a quart, maybe more, so congrats! You can thin the Easypoxy 5-10% based on your preference, or put it on full strength. If it is drying too fast, i.e. brush or roller is dragging, and it is not flattening out, then you should thin it a bit.

I have put off painting with the EZPoxy due to the heat. I live in Birmingham, AL, and it's expected to reach 94 today. I've read online (and on the EZPoxy directions) that 90 is the maximum temp limit to use this paint (some online forums even recommended that you not paint unless the temp's closer to 80). I do not have any Pettit thinner on-hand so I'm putting off painting the hull until the temps drop a bit. That will also give me time to order some thinner to make the job a bit easier.

I painted ez poxy at about those temps, with 2 coats primer, and gave it 4 days hardening time. It painted on with no problem, but it has not been as bulletproof as I had hoped. I've already dinged it several times on my few times out. And may I present a little Miss SIU Buttercup!!! Before and after. Now I just need to learn to sail...this has been such a fun and rewarding adventure. Big thanks to everyone on this site for all your help!:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 74
Hey Signal Charlie - how much of the Pettit EZPoxy2 would you expect to pour out to put a single coat on a hull? I'm really hoping that you can tell me specifically, like 8 oz paint, 2 oz activator, and 1 oz thinner. I don't want to overestimate and waste paint.

Thanks!

Hey Signal Charlie - how much of the Pettit EZPoxy2 would you expect to pour out to put a single coat on a hull? I'm really hoping that you can tell me specifically, like 8 oz paint, 2 oz activator, and 1 oz thinner. I don't want to overestimate and waste paint.

Thanks!

1/2 can should do the deck, thinned around 5%. You'll have to do the oz math. Get some paint cups and pour out about 1/2 can, add thinner and start painting. If you're rolling and tipping the brush and roller are going to soak some up as you do the first few sections. You should be able to do a section about 18-24 inches. Make sure you keep a wet edge, if paint dries out before you start next section, make your sections smaller.

For the hull you might use close to a quart.

If you're making trips to the local hardware store for supplies, take the paint and ask them to shake it. My Ace will do that, and it is a lot easier than stirring.

Some painting ideas for the boat. Which will win??? The sail is red, white, and blue.

Attachments

• CCI09122014_0000.jpg
    CCI09122014_0000.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 64
  • CCI09122014_0001.jpg
    CCI09122014_0001.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 72
  • CCI09122014_0002.jpg
    CCI09122014_0002.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 69
  • CCI09122014_0003.jpg
    CCI09122014_0003.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
  • CCI09122014_0004.jpg
    CCI09122014_0004.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 67
  • CCI09122014_0005.jpg
    CCI09122014_0005.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 65
BTW - Signal Charlie - can you paint EZPoxy on top of EZPoxy? Or do you need to put primer on top of EZPoxy, then EZPoxy on top of primer?

0003 is the best IMHO; the others are too busy, and the red will fade.
How about a simple broad stripe down the middle, or two narrow stripes? Blue or red.
These designs have been used by Vanguard in the past and look nice on a white hull.

You're welcome. Thanks for sharing the progress along the way, she looks great on the water.

Did you name the boat?

KB

Back