Refinishing the dagger board.

KAP

What is the best Finnish to use on the dagger board and rudder/tiller after I sand them down?

I like using West System epoxy and keep them out of the sun and watching the width on the daggerboard in the slot. Most probably prefer their favorite marine vsrnish.

It waterproofs better than varnish with a similar look. Epoxy alone without fiberglass cloth is bit more durable than varnish as well. On my rudders I have added a layer of fiberglass cloth, which pretty much becomes invisible and adds to strength and inhibits the wood splitting....again still maintaining a resemblance of just varnish.

I am sure you will get lots of different answers, but I used clear epoxy first (MAS) and then varnish over that. The epoxy adheres well and builds up fast, but it will turn cloudy upon repeated exposure to UV light. To stop that, I applied varnish over the epoxy.

If you go that route, epoxy & varnish, you want to be make sure that you keep it well repaired. If water starts to get under the epoxy it will be a mess.

Hope that helps.

Back