Refinishing Super Sunfish

E Andy

Does anyone have any suggestions for refinishing a Super Sunfish? We've only had it about 1.5 years, but it's a 1974 model. We are very new to sailing still and we're not really sure where to start. I'm not sure if the location of the boat makes a difference but it spends most of its time in the summer either on the water in eastern NC or on the trailer ready to go to the water and in the winter it prefers the garage (also in Eastern NC).

Attachments

• IMG_1195.PNG
    IMG_1195.PNG
    181.8 KB · Views: 47
You should post photos of the boat so we can determine its condition and what it might need for refinishing. Do you have all the parts? What shape is the sail in?

Sorry the photos aren't very good. The garage is a disaster and my step-son decided to use it as his table to build his own boat. I just snapped these really quickly before work. I can clean it off and get better pics tonight or tomorrow...

IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG

Are you talking just refinish or more refurbish and upfitting?

If you're looking to refurb, you could start by trying an air test to check the integrity of the hull:
Leaky Hull Air Test | SailingForums.com

If you just want to clean it up, Soft-Scrub™ works great on the hull, Especially with a Scotch-Brite™ sponge or it's ilk. Once the hull is clean you can polish it up with marine compound/wax.

Thanks for responses! We were thinking refurb but if you guys think she just needs to be refinished, we'll go with that. Oh, and where do you recommend purchasing battens? We are missing two. Thanks!

If you find out that it's real slippery, please let me know. I'm in Michigan and I won't be working on the clean-up until It gets warmer.

Back