Refinishing rudder, tiller and daggerboard this weekend

I've been using the pumps for over forty years as a professional boat builder and never had a problem.
=====
"You need a digital scale to get the epoxy mixed correctly. The pumps used in the West System are crude at best. Excess heat is usually caused by too much hardener but ambient temperature also plays a role.
The #105 epoxy resin is mixed in a 5:1 ratio with the #205 and #206 hardeners, and a 3:1 ratio with the #207 hardener"
====
That 5/1 ratio is for volume.
For ratio by weight:
Resin weighs 9.6 lb/gallon and 206 catalyst weighs 8.45 lb/gallon
By volume the ratio is 5/1 resin/catalyst, so 1 gallon of resin requires .2 gallons of catalyst.
.2 gallons of catalyst weighs (8.45 x .2) = 1.69 lbs
So the resin/catalyst ratio by weight is: 9.6/1.69, or 5.7/1

Total boat

Hi, take a look at: Epoxyworks.com. They have a really nice article on finishing a Sunfish rudder and dagger board. I’m thinking of doing it their way. They suggest a slow hardener for the epoxy. I think you are using a fast hardener. Also, I use a 12” pie pan to spread out the surface area of the epoxy. You can float it on some ice water if it’s very hot out. Good Luck. George Sparr

Nobody's pumped 50% bubbles and 50% epoxy with West System pumps? For such an expensive plastic item, I'd expect them to last a few years. 'Hasn't happened, but I can get replacements (temporary as they are) at yard sales. :cool:

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 412017 54811 PM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 412017 54811 PM.bmp.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 31

Back