reefing the sail

Richard Watkins

Hey yall.
Has anyone figured a way to reef the sail?
I'm older than I was, not as flexible as I once was and not as slender either.
Raising the boom about 6 to 8 inches would make sailing my Laser much easier.
Not racing, just sailing in the warm Caribean.
Any thoughts?
D

Hey yall.
Any thoughts?
D

I envy you!

To reef the sail remove the top batten, snug the cunningham, then wrap the sail around the mast and attach the outhaul. You'll need a bit longer outhaul line to do this. You shorten sail this way, but from the top down!

Thanks Merrily.
Great idea. Will try it in a few days
This will not raise the boom at mast.
Possibly will raise the boom at the stern end. If so, I'm good.
Reducing amount of sail is not the goal, raising the boom so I can get under it easier is the goal.
Thanks agian, D
Oh by the way, sailing in the Carib is actually not so good.
Steady winds, warm water, every day---boring...............

Reducing amount of sail is not the goal, raising the boom so I can get under it easier is the goal.

Since clearance under the boom is your goal and not reducing sail area you don't want to reef then. Since the gooseneck is fixed on the mast there isn't a lot you can do to "raise" the boom. What you can do is ease off your vang (and the mainsheet some when tacking). If the vang (& sheet) is loose(er) that will get you the maximum clearance possible.

Another thing you can do is work on your technique. The timing of when you cross over can make a huge difference in how easy it is to get under the boom. If you can roll tack well (I certainly can't but I keep trying. . .) it can make a really big difference too.

Your last option (but since you're in the Caribbean maybe it is the way to go. . .) would be to develop some mad limbo skills. ;-)

So, Sorosz has totally figured out 98% of my problem--Technique..!! Need lots of help there..
"roll tack"--huh? I need to learn about that from a sailing lesson.. Online??
Limbo? I could limbo rather well 40 years ago..No longer.
However, If I limbo well during a tack, am I not on the wrong Gunwale when I finish the tack? I think I need to bend forward,,..?? and go to the other side?

So back to reality-- I've been thinking about making a new attachment point, on the mast, for the boom--up 6-8 inches. Then modifying the sail.

Thanks, D

So back to reality-- I've been thinking about making a new attachment point, on the mast, for the boom--up 6-8 inches. Then modifying the sail.

Thanks, D

have you considered using a radial rig ? less sail area, easier to manage. less filling but still the great taste of a laser. no modifications to mast. you would have to better your technique, but that sounds like the path you may want take anyway.

Hey Richard, You can find a lot of great videos on youtube on roll tacking....just enter "laser roll tack" in the search and enjoy. :D Eric

Hello Richard,
This is all bull**** what was written. I think you want to laser easier because the bones hurt sometimes. What I suggest is not to reef or using a radial with the same hight of the boom No!. Get a short alloy tube that fits on the Mast top and attach your boom fitting some inches higher. Than the boom is higher and you can sail until you need total parental nutrition. I myself did changes to the rig and I **** on class rules as I want to have the fastest laser on the lake and I sail for fun. Let the guys follow their rules and overtake them :)

Hello Richard,
This is all bull**** what was written. I think you want to laser easier because the bones hurt sometimes. What I suggest is not to reef or using a radial with the same hight of the boom No!. Get a short alloy tube that fits on the Mast top and attach your boom fitting some inches higher. Than the boom is higher and you can sail until you need total parental nutrition. I myself did changes to the rig and I **** on class rules as I want to have the fastest laser on the lake and I sail for fun. Let the guys follow their rules and overtake them :)

Metsche, your idea is useful and probably appreciated. The hostile and provocative tone is not. The previous sincerely offered ideas may not be what the author of this thread wanted, but they are not bull****. We work hard to keep it friendly here, and I ask you to get into that spirit.

Hello Richard,
I myself did changes to the rig and I **** on class rules as I want to have the fastest laser on the lake and I sail for fun. Let the guys follow their rules and overtake them :)

The whole point of lasers is following the class rules. If you want the fastest boat on the lake sail another class where this is done.

P.S: Is it just me or does the line "sail another class" get used way too often here

No MATTCM, you missed the point :) Sure there is a huge part following the class rules and taking the laser as a as is boat where it is not allowed to write your own name to the hull. But there is also the part of laser sailors that sail this fabulous boat just for fun.
It is a very nice and interesting boat and worth optimizing. Now imagine you laser on a lake with your rule compliant 30 year old technique laser and I sail in circles around you with some intelligent modifications. This would be great fun! Think of a rooster 8.1. Great idea from those guys!
So why not discussing modification ideas? If you do not think about the boat and of its capabilities and options than you could buy a laser book and this forum would not make any sense. The forum lives because of thoughts, questions and ideas and this must no be interpreting class rules only :)

Regard Metsche, the laser class rule killer :)

I find not only your ideas funny, but also your "English is not my first language" prose.

"This would be great fun!" Lol.

Hey yall.
Any thoughts?
D

I'm guessing you want the 6-8" additional clearance where you cross under it. I think the most cost effective would be to just raise the clew up on the sail. You'll need to go 12-14" at the clew to get the 6-8" mid boom

There are two ways to go about it (any sailmaker can do them for you - shouldn't be more then an hour or two of work)
1. Cut off the existing clew patch and move it up the leech and refair the foot
2. Add a second clew patch and grommet above the existing one (a reef patch)

You'll lose some sail area with this modification (not as much useful area as some might think), but IMHO this is a better solution then trying to move the rig up in the boat (extensions, moving goosenecks etc). The boat will also be a little better balanced in hvy air, not as much windward helm to fight.

I find not only your ideas funny, but also your "English is not my first language" prose.

"This would be great fun!" Lol.

Knock it off, Shatty. Stop provoking. Also, any attempt at English is welcome here. :mad: Plus, Metsche's English is pretty good.

I'm guessing you want the 6-8" additional clearance where you cross under it. I think the most cost effective would be to just raise the clew up on the sail. You'll need to go 12-14" at the clew to get the 6-8" mid boom.

A very practical solution to the situation.

Hello Richard,

I agree. I'm gonna add wings to my Laser, and I'll sail it with a digital compass and the cheapest knock-off sail I can find. Just my way of sticking it to the man!

Power to the people!

I agree. I'm gonna add wings to my Laser, and I'll sail it with a digital compass and the cheapest knock-off sail I can find. Just my way of sticking it to the man!

Power to the people!

The only insult I can find for soemone who just has a Laser for cruising around in, doesn't race and buys a a different, non-class-legal-but-basically-the-same sail-for-way-less, is intelligent.

But I see your point.

Hello Merrily,
I dont know what's the problem of this forum but I often saw in the different postings that if a non standard question was raised most follow ups are more about laughing and evaluating the question than giving some valuable answers or just helpful thoughts.
And the greatest delict seems to be to raise a question that was similar to an already existing. In this case you can be sure about ten follow-ups of our Messieurs "guards of correctness".

Maybe we should suggest more acceptance and focus on the original subject....
?

P.S: My first language is German and I learned English at school, so no problem if someone finds a funny expression or mistake it's a present, keep it :)

P.S: My first language is German and I learned English at school, so no problem if someone finds a funny expression or mistake it's a present, keep it :)

I know, right? I wasn't even insulting. It's just humorous when people who have another language as their first language, and type/speak in English, it usually comes out sounding very proper, hence the: "This would be great fun!"

I get it all the time when I speak French.

Merrily just likes to keep quoting my posts and saying "that's provoking" for some reason. I don't believe I ever said your English was poor.

Hello Merrily,
I dont know what's the problem of this forum but I often saw in the different postings that if a non standard question was raised most follow ups are more about laughing and evaluating the question than giving some valuable answers or just helpful thoughts.
And the greatest delict seems to be to raise a question that was similar to an already existing. In this case you can be sure about ten follow-ups of our Messieurs "guards of correctness".

Maybe we should suggest more acceptance and focus on the original subject....
?

The Laser Forum is a place where all sailors, experienced and novice alike, can expect to ask a question and get a respectful answer. That means giving a respectful answer, not mocking the previous posts as you did with your first posting here.

Merrily just likes to keep quoting my posts and saying "that's provoking" for some reason. I don't believe I ever said your English was poor.

Saying that someone's English is funny seems to me that you are saying that their English is poor. Metsche is being good-natured about it, but other more sensitive souls may never post here if they believe they will be mocked for their language skills.

I don't like to keep quoting your posts and saying "that's provoking." It's a real pain to have to keep warning you. Food for thought--it's not necessary to constantly quip. Please only post if you have an idea or information relevant to the thread topic.

Saying that someone's English is funny seems to me that you are saying that their English is poor. Alright, so maybe I should have more clear and said: "Metsche, being someone who also speaks a second language, I can relate to the way you speak it in a very proper manner, as it is taught in educational institutions." Metsche is being good-natured about it, but other more sensitive souls It was pretty clear from his other post that he did not fall into this category. may never post here if they believe they will be mocked for their language skills.

I don't like to keep quoting your posts and saying "that's provoking." So don't, because they're not. It's a real pain to have to keep warning you. So don't because there's no reason to. Food for thought--it's not necessary to constantly quip. You may have a point here, but sometimes, when the forum goes two days without a post, I get a little antsy. Please only post if you have an idea or information relevant to the thread topic.

dot dot dot

Why do so many threads here degenerate into personal attacks. Unnecessary and does not encourage wide participation. There are other fora where people can squabble and be critical or each other (and maybe do little else) but do we have to do it here as well ?

This sort of thing seems t be happening a lot at the moment - and no prizes for guessing ....

I suppose I would post more except I cannot be bothered to as my spelling is not always 100% and I never was much good at English at school and I might just sometimes make a typo and the associated grief ...

This is a fairly quiet forum and maybe this sort of behaviour does not encourage people.

Ian

Why do so many threads here degenerate into personal attacks. Unnecessary and does not encourage wide participation. There are other fora where people can squabble and be critical or each other (and maybe do little else) but do we have to do it here as well ?

This sort of thing seems t be happening a lot at the moment - and no prizes for guessing ....

I suppose I would post more except I cannot be bothered to as my spelling is not always 100% and I never was much good at English at school and I might just sometimes make a typo and the associated grief ...

This is a fairly quiet forum and maybe this sort of behaviour does not encourage people.

Ian

1. I made no personal attacks. People seem to make a big deal out of every little thing that is said and draw things from them that were never there to begin with.
2. No you wouldn't post more, so don't make things up.
3. You're right. No prizes for guessing because I guess it's pretty obvious. See point number one, though.

1. I made no personal attacks. People seem to make a big deal out of every little thing that is said and draw things from them that were never there to begin with.
3. You're right. No prizes for guessing because I guess it's pretty obvious. See point number one, though.

See what I mean. A relevant thread about reefing a sail goes the way of so many others.

To the original poster - sorry. Maybe people at your local club can help you whailst we squabble between ourselves here.

Wow - you must know more about me than I do. I would be fascinated to see how you "know" that. This is now quite more than pathetic. I should never have said anything. And I thought we were here because of an interest in sailing and Lasers in particular. My mistake.

Ian

Hola all of you,
Sorry I haven't added any thoughts lately--been off being a tourist in Mexico.
I think Metsches suggestion of adding a bit to the top of the mast will work best for me, because I got two masts with my Laser. The original one is bent a bit, so I have an exact size piece available to add to top. This will not alter the boat permanently.
I really appreciate all of the thoughts. Thanks to all of you.
I am not sailing in any competition. Not another sail boat around. Just enjoying being out on the water. So the rules don't matter.
RE: language differences--I speak a bit of German because I worked for a German company for some years. Yankees don't need to because the Germans speak English so well. Biggest source of laughter with my German friends came from the fact that they speak British not American. Some funny diiferences in our "English".!!
I am immersed in a bit of a language issue here--I am about 60 miles south of Cancun. Not much English spoken here.. So I have mucho fun speaking to the locals.
Enjoy every minute of it.
Summary-- relax yall. Enjoy. We are sailing in the very best Toy Boat.
Peace - love - sandy feet.
Thanks again. Love the Laser and the Laser Forum.
D

Please don't shoot down my English ( I am Chinese!!
biggrin.gif
). This is a suggestion to Richards's problem. What about raising the mast by putting a wedge of some sort in the mast step. I don't know how much height you can get away and what you would use as a wedge.

The 14" or so of depth in the mast step is all you have to counter any and all forces that are place on the mast/rig. Adding anything to the bottom of the step will significantly reduce the ability of the tube to support lateral forces of wind and sheeting and may cause the tube to crack or fail. The old force x distance = torque comes into play.

Good luck, Eric

Good idea Softshuffle. In very good English.! I wish I could do so well in any other language.
I could put a 4 to 6" long, round wood post in the mast hole. The downhaul would tighten up everything nicely. Simplest idea yet.:)
However, being the Mechanical Engineer that I am, I am concerned about the stresses on the fiberglass in the hole. As xflyer95 discusses. I'd bet that the bottom of the hole is reinforced more than it is above that.
I believe I will try the additional bit on top as Metsches suggested. Bit more work, but not much. Since I have a spare, bent, mast I have the parts I need.
Thanks so much for all the good thoughts.
It may be a while before I get it done--busy with Honey Do's..:(
Will post a note after I try it.
D

Hola from Mexico,
I added ten inches of AL tube (from old mast top section).
Drilled out pop rivets on boom attachment on mast, moved it up ten inches.
Wunderbar as Metsches might say.
His idea. It worked great. No changes to sail. 10 more inches of clearance under boom. Now the ols stiff body can get under the boom.
Probably more than I need. If so, I can cut a bit off of the top and lower the attachment the same bit.
The increased height on the mast and sail is going to increase the tip over potential, but I'm not racing--just cruising. So I anticipate good sailing.
Thanks Metsches.
D

A very practical solution to the situation.

Power to the people!

Laser EPS- a higher performance laser with wings but as the class has pretty much died they are dirt cheap- I would buy one of those instead of fitting wings!

Hi Richard,
I'm happy I could help you :) ! Meanwhile I have finished a new project. My tuned speedbreed. Speedbreed is a little skiff from far-east-boats, only 3 meters and 1,3 wide that has an original sail area of 4,5 sqm. The advantage of this boat is, that it can be put on the roof of the car easily by one person as the hull weights only 30kg. Now this boat is more something for my son concerning the sail area.... How to manage that Daddy has fun too with speedbreed?
I gave this skiff a new spar of 55mm aloy tube and added a laser standard rig. This worked fine but some lasers were somehow a little bit (only a little bit) faster than me. Now I added a bowsprit and a jib of a topper topaz with 1,75sq. Alltogether the boat has now about 8,8sqm and I cannot await to test it when we have some more degrees here in Germany :) A rooster 8.1 has 8,1 sqm, mine has 8,8. Very funny with such a little hull:)

Some pics:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPKfJ
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPPf0
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVPPWJr
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1a9Dmi

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1Iv4P9

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqR_aB9

Metsche:
Looks like putting a Laser rig on an Open Bic. I wonder how your creation will handle...
It's certainly innovative!

Back