Reefing Point Measurement Please

c14_Scott

Hello everyone.

A thorough search of previous posts shows that this has been discussed before, but I've not found many specific measurements.

So my question is, how high up from the boom should I install my reefing points? I saw one reference to 2'3" and another reference to "just below the first batten". Quite a difference there.

I'd greatly appreciate a recommendation from someone who has installed reefing points and is happy with the resulting performance.

Thanks!

Hi Scott,
I can't remember where the reef points ended up on our C-14 but it seems certain it was more than 27" up from the boom. We're going to try to get some sailing in this weekend so if we do, I'll get my tape measure out and let you know exactly.

Jim

Reefing Point Measurment

I would say it depends. It depends on the wind conditions you want to sail in. The more you reef, the less sail surface and the more manageable the boat becomes with strong winds. I placed my reefing points just below the first batten, at about 1 meter from the boom. I usually sail on a lake where the winds on a windy day are very strong. My intention was to have the possibility to go out on very windy days, and not have to worry about flipping over, and for my wife to go out on windy days (with only one sail) and be able to sail alone, so I really wanted to be able to take in a lot. It worked out GREAT for this objective. Now, if you just want to take off the edge, I think the 2 foot 3" option may work. If you're really not sure, maybe put in TWO reefing points. I AM VERY HAPPY with my decision to take up a meter and really take in the sail at that point.

My two cents. You can see pictures at:
http://www.capri14.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1618

Back