Redoing my Laser

Young Sailor

I am 15 and I found a free laser hull sail number 126628. The deck was soft all over. I cut out the deck and I am going to re lay the deck with fiberglass and sork. The hull came with no rigging. If anyone can tell me any websites that have sails and rigging for lasers cheap that would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to practice fibreglass work, fine. If you want to go sailing... forget it. With the money and effort spent on getting the rest of the gear, you should easily get a complete boat, ready to sail.

This may sound a bit rough, but if I were you, I'd dump that hull and start looking for "Laser for sale" ads in the area.

Add everything up including materials for the repair. If you are able to afford the project through to the end then I say go for it. I give you allot of respect for taking on a project like this. Having the "I can fix this" approach will take you far and the skills learned will be built on throughout your life. Doing these kind of things develop the type of person others label as "he can fix anything" this isn't born, is develope. Now for a sense of reality... Yes you can purchase a complete boat cheaper probably considering your time per hour cost but your 15 who cares. As long as you can finishthe project that is what matters. If you decide to go for it I recommend starting a thread and documenting everything. List everything you need. There is enough guys out there that had upgraded with stock hardware laying around. I would hope donating stuff to a kid who wants to go sailing would be a popular stance. Good luck and keep us updated.

Young sailor,

When you say you cut out the deck, what do you mean. You separated the deck from the hull or you cut the deck around the perimeter?

Awesome! I would ask around locally, people may either give you parts that are laying in their yard or sell them cheap. If you find any old complete laser listings, make them an offer on the spars and blades.

For a new practice sail you can't beat intensity, it will last you longer than a used laser sail for sure

I, too, would really like to see pictures of how you've cut the deck out. We could then see whether this is a sane project to begin with.

Remember that after reconstructing the whole deck, what you have is not a Laser anymore - it's at best a Laser-looking boat, probably somewhat heavier than a Laser, and which hopefully sails more or less like a Laser. In any case, it doesn't make much sense spending money on new parts, even relatively cheap fakes. As others have said, check out the Laser ads in your country/state/region and ask the sellers if they have any extra parts they don't need. I actually have a couple of foils myself which I could donate...

Last edited:
On the other hand, what you will learn, the pride in your accomplishments and memories will be priiceless. I say go for it....

Sounds like it might make a good "Frankenboat". Find an old 420 rig and make a long bowsprit out of an old Laser upper. Now you've got a singlehander with a trap and assymetric chute. Now its worth the time.

Sounds brutal.

Would still like to see pictures... are the cockpit and centreboard trunk still connected to the hull?

How are you planning to proceed?

Sounds brutal.

Would still like to see pictures... are the cockpit and centreboard trunk still connected to the hull?

How are you planning to proceed?
I will put up picture tomorrow. I am going to lay glass on inside of hull and later proceed to rebuild the deck. The only thing that's brutal about the project is the glass itch.

Young Sailor, don't listen to people who say "don't do it". The world doesn't advance and people don't learn a thing by doing nothing and sitting on their hands wailing Nooooooo. You'll learn a lot from the experience and you'll have a boat you fixed up yourself. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics of your progress so that we can also learn something!

This is a picture of the hull with half the fiberglass laid inside. I rebuilt the mast step and re cemented the cockpit corners.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 82

Back