Red rhombus on Radial Sail

JuanCH

hi there, I have just bought a new Radial Sail (by Laser UK) and it has a red rhombus above the laser logo. does it mean anything. I ve seen some sails with that red rhombus (diamond like ) on the upper part of the sail. Thanks!

hi there, I have just bought a new Radial Sail (by Laser UK) and it has a red rhombus above the laser logo. does it mean anything. I ve seen some sails with that red rhombus (diamond like ) on the upper part of the sail. Thanks!

That surprises me. I thought that the red rhombus was meant to identify lady radial sailors; some thought that was sexist (see the thread identified by 49208), but the proposal was adopted.

The red rhombus does identify lady radial sailors ( I am one and I have the red rhombus on my sails). If you attend any international events its usually a requirement. I was given my first one at the Europeans in 2004.

I don't think its sexist at all. Even when I am racing in a mixed fleet I like to know how I am doing against the other ladies so makes it easier to spot them all

I think it is sexist and totally unnecessary. I was getting ready to join the ILCA when this came up and now - no way. I can enter all the regattas I want to without being a member and I think any organisation introducing such stupid and unnecessary rules does not deserve my money.

How would you feel were a law to be introduced requiring women drivers to display a badge on their cars identifying them as women drivers ? Any government proposing such a rule might have some challenges come next elections.

Having seen other threads about what the Class Association is not doing - they need to think about what their membership want and not what they want.

Ian

How would you feel were a law to be introduced requiring women drivers to display a badge on their cars identifying them as women drivers ? Any government proposing such a rule might have some challenges come next elections.

Ian

If the women drivers were racing only against other women drivers in a mixed group, I'd be all for it. That would add an interesting spin to the daily commute! And the government would have my vote.

Nobody commented on the fact that it appears this was a new sail ("bought a new Radial Sail (by Laser UK)")

That's the only odd thing I see - is that the new sail came with the rhombus on the sail. Leave it loose in the bag, not every radial sail is being sold to a female.

It's also odd that someone who is not a member of the class is whining about what the class is doing. IMHO, saying the rhombus issue caused you not to join the class just sounds like an excuse for not wanting to pay the dues. If you have issues with how the class is being run, fine, do something! But the best way you can effect change is by becoming a member and getting involved in the class org.

49208 hits my nail on the head!

What I was trying to say is that if I bought a radial sail, I would not expect it to have a rhombus on it. After all, there are a whole lot of guys who sail Radials.

And let's not rehash the old thread of whether the rhombus is sexist or not; that point is moot by now; I am sorry I even mentioned it.

Yes, the sexist thing was a tangent that ignores this puzzle. It doesn't make any economic sense to sell a Radial sail with a rhombus on it. Surely the rhombus costs extra, and the percentage of events that would require them has to be low. Sounds like a mistake to me.

It does save the female Radial sailors the effort for going out and trying to locate a red rhombus to put on the sail. The guys can just peel it off.

It's also odd that someone who is not a member of the class is whining about what the class is doing. IMHO, saying the rhombus issue caused you not to join the class just sounds like an excuse for not wanting to pay the dues. If you have issues with how the class is being run, fine, do something! But the best way you can effect change is by becoming a member and getting involved in the class org.

Before joining an organisation it makes sense to look at what that organisation does, how it represents and supports its membership. If it does not act on your behalf, not represent, not you support you, etc. then why join. Nothing to do with paying membership dues (membership is trivial compared to the other running costs of a Laser, incl being a member of 3 different clubs, RYA, FFV, etc.). Membership of the RYA, FFV, etc. is a choice because they are helpful, act and represent the membership (in broad terms), etc.

I am not a member of any political party but will happily complain about some of the things they get up to - and consider I am quite within my rights to do so.

Actually I did try to join the Class Association when I first got my Laser - but ended-up giving up because it was just too much hard work without progress (yes - it really was quite impossible to contact the Class Association - SFBayLaser even tried to get them to contact me - but no joy !!). Their actions since then have disuaded me further. Nobody I have raced with bothers and the clubs I have done regatas at do not require it for Lasers.

Ian

Back