Red Dot

Well, Red Rombus at the top of a Radial rig indicates a female sailor.

In large regattas a red dot is used sometimes to denote a sailor in 2nd or 3rd overall I believe, don't remember which?

Does that mean that if you just have a Laser sail with the class patch, that you also need to get it measured and a red dot placed on it? What is involved in doing this?

Craig

The newer sails have them next to the patch, it just means their newer

the older sails don't because they did not do it back then, but they are still class legal, it sounds like you have one of these

What is the red dot on the sail mean?

It is called a "class button". It means it is a class legal sail and royaltys have been paid. If it is a new sail without one it means it came from one of the low budget knock off sweat shops and you can not use it for Class Racing.

. If it is a new sail without one it means it came from one of the low budget knock off sweat shops

Please be aware that spreading malicious lies like this is called Libel. If you choose to spread falsehoods about a competing product please be aware that you will be called on it. To openly call the chinese factory a sweatshop and not a Sri Lankan factory one, when you have no information on working conditions, is intentionally false.

Since you cannot question quality or price/value on a product that only leaves you with misinformation.

You do not represent yourself well when you attack with lies. So if you have actual evidence please present it or refrain from baseless accusations.

Please be aware that spreading malicious lies like this is called Libel. If you choose to spread falsehoods about a competing product please be aware that you will be called on it. To openly call the chinese factory a sweatshop and not a Sri Lankan factory one, when you have no information on working conditions, is intentionally false.

Since you cannot question quality or price/value on a product that only leaves you with misinformation.

You do not represent yourself well when you attack with lies. So if you have actual evidence please present it or refrain from baseless accusations.

Excuse me was I talking about you? No names were mentioned, thou thinks thee protest too much...take a look in a mirror

* deleted because I did not want to annoy the all mighty Merrily, but you can probably figure out what I said.

Yes it does, and the majority appreciate thoughtful debate, not a Laser smackdown! Thanks in advance.

What about a "thoughtful debate" about "libel"? I hear that damages from an inadvertent
libel can still include damages for actual harm (such as loss of business).

IN NO EVENT SHALL THIS FORUM USER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF ARMS, LEGS, BRAIN CELLS, SAILS (OR SALES) ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO THE USE OF, OR RELIANCE UPON, INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS POST.

What about a "thoughtful debate" about "libel"? I hear that damages from an inadvertent libel can still include damages for actual harm (such as loss of business).

IN NO EVENT SHALL THIS FORUM USER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF ARMS, LEGS, BRAIN CELLS, SAILS (OR SALES) ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO THE USE OF, OR RELIANCE UPON, INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS POST.

Ai yi yi. Tread carefully boys.

I think from this point on we should have our lawyers post on our behalf!!! :p

PS: The legal comment was meant tongue in cheek in the other thread...

popcorn.gif

Excuse me but who really cares unless your a representive of these "sweatshops" why do you care, lets not point fingers.

Excuse me but who really cares unless your a representive of these "sweatshops" why do you care, lets not point fingers.

Just to be clear, Intensity Sails sells a non class legal sail without the red dot. He resented what he felt was an implication that he sold sails made in a sweatshop.

He distributes a quality product. I, being a recent college grad, try to compete in this sport on a very tight budget. Intensity Sails offers me a way to keep my 500 dollar North sail rolled up in my basement unless I am racing in a class event. He sells them as practice sails and for that they are phenominal.

I am also still a patron and die hard supporter of North Sails. I dont want people to think I am only supporting a non-class legal product... I still buy at least one sail a year from Vanguard.. or now Laser Performance. However, intensity allows me a way to cut down the cost of recreationally sailing my laser and keeping my race sail nice and crisp....

I just don't see why people have such an issue wth this. What's wrong with saving a bit of change as long as a class legal sail is used for all class events?

I have a racing sail and a practice sail the practice is my workhorse sail I use for practice and screwing around, and a racing sail that only sees the light when I race. Is there a huge difference between old used sails and completely new ones? If I only practice with my practice sail and I use the good one in races, is it a huge difference. Enough to throw me off when I race?

I just bought a boat that came with an Intensity sail. I haven't sailed with it yet, but the fabric appears to have crisper, more durable fabric than class-legal sails.

I just bought a boat that came with an Intensity sail. I haven't sailed with it yet, but the fabric appears to have crisper, more durable fabric than class-legal sails.

If you leave something in a toaster long enough it will get crispier :D...just don't burn it

If you leave something in a toaster long enough it will get crispier :D...just don't burn it

Wow, I am glad to find out from an actual Laser dealer that I can rejuvenate my class legal sail by toasting it. Does anyone know where I can find a 75 ft2 toaster? Maybe a blowtorch would work...like making [SIZE=-1]Crème Brûlée[/SIZE]?

If you find Elvestrom or Haarstick sails, they are also legal, but these companies no longer make Laser sails.

Other companies like Intensity make practice sails that are not legal to race with.

CJ, lately you've been asking a lot of questions like this, are you asking seriously?

But the question to your answer is North and Hyde.

I am asking serious I've been sailing for a number of years but not necessarily on a Laser so I will have a few questions now and then whether you deem them to be serous or not. Back to the question I have a Haarstick racing sail and it says on the label on the sail is it computer cut this sail is legal right?:rolleyes:

Back