Recommended Sunfish Tiller Extension Length

Draidt

A friend of me gave me a 1976 Sunfish that I’m restoring. It has the wooden tiller and extension (bolted). I am replacing the wooden extension and single bolt with an extension and universal joint. Although I will start out sailing this recreationally (rookie lake sailor at 63 years old), I may race it in the near future. I plan on doing some hiking (full-extension) in either sailing mode and am wondering what length of extension works best. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Dan
St. Louis, MO

I upgraded my wooden tiller extension to a 33" Ronstan Aluminum Battlestick and I couldn't be happier with it. It's just the right length for me. I'm 60 and I also do some hiking and am thinking about racing in the near future. Intensity sails has some very good prices.

Reactions: tag
I upgraded my wooden tiller extension to a 33" Ronstan Aluminum Battlestick and I couldn't be happier with it. It's just the right length for me. I'm 60 and I also do some hiking and am thinking about racing in the near future. Intensity sails has some very good prices.
Thanks so much DanPal!!

Back