Recommended Length of Tiller Extension for new Laser sailor ...

MrktGarden

I recently purchased a used Laser. The boat came with a 34" tiller extension and the end of the extension ends up being about 5 inches short of the main sheet block. This 5" gap seems to make it difficult for me to do hand over hand sheeting in at the leeward mark. To improve my sheeting capability, I just purchased a 48" Fatso tiller extension. To see how the 48" extension would work, I set my Laser up in my drive way. It looks like I will have to turn turn the rudder past 45 degrees or so to be able to get the end of the extension to clear the main sheet and boom blocks.

Is a 48" long tiller extension the recommended length and is turning the rudder past 45 degrees what I need to do? I have been considering trimming off 4 or 6 inches off the end of the extension.

If you bought the Fatso it should be a "standard" length and many sailors in the same boat than yours are happy with this. Keep it the next time and you will see that after some more practice handling is easy.

It is like the 14m/7mm main sheet. For beginners really hard to handle, but after some practice we understand that this is a good choice.

HTH, Peter.

I recently purchased a used Laser. The boat came with a 34" tiller extension and the end of the extension ends up being about 5 inches short of the main sheet block. This 5" gap seems to make it difficult for me to do hand over hand sheeting in at the leeward mark. To improve my sheeting capability, I just purchased a 48" Fatso tiller extension. To see how the 48" extension would work, I set my Laser up in my drive way. It looks like I will have to turn turn the rudder past 45 degrees or so to be able to get the end of the extension to clear the main sheet and boom blocks.

Is a 48" long tiller extension the recommended length and is turning the rudder past 45 degrees what I need to do? I have been considering trimming off 4 or 6 inches off the end of the extension.

48" will be fine, believe me.

I use a 48". I can't even imagine 34".

I actually wish I had the 52". I could probably due with 50", as 52" is a bit much for my height, but it's all preference. 48" just isn't good enough sometimes.

I'm 5'10, by the way.

48 might be a little long, depending on the length of the tiller.

Some of the older boats had a tiller slightly longer than the new CF ones that are coming out.

So compare your total length tiller + extension to what other sailors in your area are using.

48 might be a little long, depending on the length of the tiller.

Some of the older boats had a tiller slightly longer than the new CF ones that are coming out.

So compare your total length tiller + extension to what other sailors in your area are using.

If you have the standard metal tiller, or one of the Acme carbon ones, 48 inches will not be too long, trust me.

Please don't cut your 48 incher off.

Back