Recommended Bottom Paint?

Laxman3337

I recently acquired an old laser from a neighbor here on the lake. Its not in the best shape and needs some work. I've started to fill the scratches on the bottom with a gel-paste that dries clear(mostly). After a fair amount of sanding, the bottom is beginning to feel smooth again, but the yellow gel coat is really faded. I'd like to just repaint it and give it new life, both visually and mechanically. Do any of you recommend a certain paint for the bottom of a small sailboat if I want it to be bright and fast?

I've heard VC-17 is good, but the colors are kinda blah to me. I'm curious if there are similar products or if it really makes a difference what kind of paint you use.

VC-17 is a anti-fouling bottom paint, you don't want to use that on a laser unless you plan on leaving the laser in the water all the time. If you want it to last a long time use a good epoxy paint, otherwise just go with a normal hull side coat paint from any good boat store or website.

What ever you do preparation is the key.

I agree with Mack.

VC-17 is a staple for big boats in the great lakes and other places where you haul out every winter. It is basically copper solution mixed in lighter fluid. You roll the stuff on and it dries in seconds. Slime grows on the boat all summer while it is in the water. As you go out sailing, the copper flakes off in micro parts and so goes the slime with it. By the end of the summer, most of the copper is gone thus minimizing the slime buildup. Next spring, wash her and give her another coat of copper. There is no sanding and very minimal prep.

Additionally, it is not a water barrier paint. Meaning just because you put VC-17 on her doesn't mean you can't leave a laser in the water for extended periods of time. The hull will still absorb water. Barrier paints reduce the absorption of water into the hull.

Anti-fouling paint and barrier paints are intended to do two different things. If you are just looking to enhance your hull looks, you need to look at 1 part (cheaper) or 2 part (better) epoxy paints. Visit Interlux, West Marine, or Jamestown Distributors websites to better understand the above.

if you did all that work smoothing out the bottom you should finish it with epoxy gel coat, thats what gives the new lasers that glistening shine, this will protect it, look great and sail fast. Here's some directions to help you out http://schrothfiberglass.com/LaserMaint.htm click on "how to make your bottom pretty"

People are starting to consider epoxy bottoms on their keel boats now since the DEP made a new regulation against cleaning your bottom in LIS with certain bottom paints. The epoxy is fast (when clean) and you can clean it as much as you like without harming the environment.

If the following means something to you and you clearly understand exaclty how to do it...I think it is the best possible advice:

Prep the boat to the 320 level and get a buddy who paints cars to apply the most kick butt two package utethane paint he regularly sprays.

If you responded to the above with anything other than "OK I can do that, " get the directions for refinishing with Interlux Perfection and follow those.

Personally?? I would prep it with 320 or maybe even 240 and ile on a bunch of Awlgrip...then sand it smooth and polish it.

One of these days I am going to paint a boat with the PPG liquid metal. The waves would reflect off the hull and make it appear not to be there..

-sp-s-21-4-07-230.JPG

what about just painting down from the gunwhales to the waterline so when its on the water it looks good and you say you have the bottom smooth noboddy gets down to look underneath anneyway

Back