recommendations for new boom blocks

minas man

At the end of last season my boom blocks were squeaking and one sheave was not spinning so I am in need of a new pair of boom blocks. Just looking for any wisdom in selecting new ones whether to get standard sunfish replacement blocks or are there upgraded ones for racing? Any tips on mounting. Here is a picture of my Harken main sheet block and cleat.
Minas Man

Attachments

• Sunfish mainsheet block and cleat 003.jpg
    Sunfish mainsheet block and cleat 003.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 73
minas man, that looks like a pretty good combo with the block and cleat all in one.

I am mostly a recreational sailor, and followed the advice of Wayne (may he rest in peace) to use a separate ratchet block, with a cam cleat mounted on the cockpit lip.

I used a Harken 2135 ratchet carbo block, and a Harken H150 standard cam cleat. I only used it a few times toward the end of last summer, but really enjoyed the setup. I didn't use a stand-up spring as I remove my block after each sailing trip, but I know a lot of sailors like them and just leave the block on all the time.

cheers,
tag

Attachments

• mainsheet block and cleat.jpg
    mainsheet block and cleat.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 53
This question appears to be about the 'main' block, not the boom blocs.

Correct?

If so, there are many, many, threads about this issue. You can use the Search function (in the upper bar) to find them.

matias, well hopefully he'll chime in - he mentioned boom blocks, but posted a picture of his main block, so I had assumed that's what he meant!

tag

Yea it's the boom blocks that I need to replace and was wondering if anybody uses something other than the origional blocks or is there an upgraded racing block that is class legal.
Minas Man

If you want to be class legal, stick with the Racelite blocks. I would use the swiveling ones for both the fore and aft blocks. If you are a rec sailor, use whatever you like.

When you go to replace them you will run across the issue of how to secure new blocks, bolting, through bolting, riveting, lashing...also, you may decide to move them.

I've went through this on two boats last year. Check out this thread.

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=32815&highlight=fbjru

Back