Reccomended Running Rigging Sizes?

U

Unregistered

I am in the process of getting my boat ready for the upcoming summer race season and am considering purchasing some new, smaller diameter (read lighter) running rigging. Does anyone have any recomendations for line diameters for racing, while at the same time retaining a resonable amount of comfort on the hands? Currently the line diameters on the boat are way too big (factory recomendations), especially the Jib sheet which seems especially critical due to the fact that it's weight tends to mess with the shape of the sail in light air. Also, it would be nice to find a line for both the Jib and Main sheets that does not absorb any water, and therefore get heavy. For now, I think I would like to look at changing the following:

Main Sheet
Jib Sheet
Main Halyard
Jib Halyard

Also, is anyone using a small loop of cable instead of the ring for the Jib-to-whisker pole connection? (I think this is class-legal) If so, does this arrangement work well, or is the ring easier to hook during a race?

Any recomendations / experiences would be appreciated

Thanks,

Eric

MBYC, San Diego, CA

Hi there. On my boat I have 1/4" jib sheets. But you can go with 5/16. I have a 5/16" main sheet. Both made of "Samson Ultra-lite". You don't want a line that will soke up water. The main halyard I have is "Super Pre-Stretch" made by Marlow. The jib halyard I have is 1/4" "Warpspeed" made by Samson.

Whisker pole connection

Eric - Using a loop of cable is class-legal. In fact the rules don't specify any particular method for attaching the whisker pole.

Back