Rear hiking strap - how does it attach?

SHNOOL

My boat (sail number 860) has always been missing the rear hiking strap... I was going to order it from Catalinadirect, but they could not tell me how it mounts... I see the rear mount is just a bunch of slots on the transom, but the front, after some inspection, seems to be screws through the underside of the barney post.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Um, kinda needed that hiking strap today... steady 15 knot winds.

The aft end of the rear hiking strap is threaded through the three slots in the small metal bracket which is mounted towards the bottom of the transom. Just experiment with the "over and under" threading until you find an approach that is secure.

The forward end is held in place by the four screws you mentioned which are under the top of the barney post.

I have been told that a miniature ratchet tool plus screwdriver blade is the easiest way to get those screws out and in. A small L shaped screwdriver or a stubbie would work also but I was told those tools "take forever" and usually result in skinned knuckles.

Too funny, that was the missing info (racheting screwdriver). Thanks a bunch... Now I just need to order the strap, as it appears all the other parts are still there!

As was mentioned in another post, I will order that along with a new bungee for my centerboard (just gave up the ghost in 15 knot winds last weekend)... I could have been upset, but was having WAY too much fun to CARE!

You think it might be easier to remove the barney post (to get to those screws), or would that somehow make my life more difficult by somehow losing the wood where the screws go through for the barney?

SHNOOL said:
You think it might be easier to remove the barney post (to get to those screws), or would that somehow make my life more difficult by somehow losing the wood where the screws go through for the barney?

I was told to leave the barney post base screws alone. I did not ask why.

Understood! My concern as well. My guess is, this is the last thing you want to have - um - come loose during sail...

Thanks for the help MajorH!

I had to replace my rear hiking strap. I disassembled the post. You may need to do that to hold the screws in place while removing the nuts. Another interesting item is how to put the holes in the strap to pass the screws through. I used the old piece of the strap for a pattern, and used a candle to heat a large nail to place the holes in the nylon strap.

Hiking Strap Installation Diagram

Here is a diagram from Catalina for installing the hiking straps.

Attachments

• Hiking Strap Installation.jpg
    Hiking Strap Installation.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 403
You rock... that is as detailed as it gets. Now I am concerned, because my mod 1, seems to only have screws into the bottom of the barney. The remnants of the old hiking strap (2"x1" cloth) remain, where the screws went into it.

I am hoping this is a diagram of the "improved" rear hiking strap.

I ordered the strap yesterday (3-4 week backorder), along with other small parts... Hopefully I can make it work.

Thanks again!

Picture of Rear Hiking Strap

Here is a picture of my strap, probably not how it's supposed to go, but it was as I got it when I bought the boat used.

Attachments

• 100_8175.JPG
    100_8175.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 263
My boat (sail number 860) has always been missing the rear hiking strap... I was going to order it from Catalinadirect, but they could not tell me how it mounts... I see the rear mount is just a bunch of slots on the transom, but the front, after some inspection, seems to be screws through the underside of the barney post.

Back