rear attachment hiking strap

pbaker117

78 super fish was given to me. have looked at most threads on subject but have not found any on rear attachment. I am aware that the frount attachment needs backing but can't see how you could back the rear ,even with inspection port due to the fact that the cubby is in the way. do i need backing in the rear or is hull thick enough to hold screws without it.

The way this is done is you thrubolt the lip of the cubby. You can either put an eye on either side of the notch at the bottom of the cubby and use 4 bolts, or just use one eye on one side of the notch. Just buy nice long screws so you can go all the way thru the lip. The nuts go on the side of the lip in the cubby. Use lots of silicone or 5200 as these holes will be frequently awash!! :eek:

BB

thanks beldar I kind of thought that would be a good spot, but after reading some post I thought it would be too high. this makes more sense now.I have been racking my brain to figure out how I was going to get a backing plate in there.

Attachments

• HikingStrapInstall.gif
    HikingStrapInstall.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 81
Here is how I mounted mine. I don't have any completed pics but you can get the picture.

First I drilled holes and slid the bolts through
1.jpg

Next I made a mold with duck tape and filled it with gel coat.

2.jpg

As you can see it is hard and secure, it supports my weight with no problem. I eventually sanded it smooth so flow into the cubby.

3.jpg

JEEPIN2007, I've seen your restoration pics before, (great job) but last time I didn't notice that the inspectionport in the cockpit was already there. I had assumed you put it in for the hicking strap instlation. Do you know why It was origanally installed? thanks Mike

JEEPIN2007, I've seen your restoration pics before, (great job) but last time I didn't notice that the inspectionport in the cockpit was already there. I had assumed you put it in for the hicking strap instlation. Do you know why It was origanally installed? thanks Mike

When I bought the boat, it was already there. Im not sure why though. Maybe they used it for repairs or to dry out the boat. Thats all I can figure.

I think putting one big eyebolt through the lip results in too big a hole thru the lip. You want smaller holes if possible. I would recommend a two-hole eyestrap instead. It will also be easier to seal the smaller holes with silicone. And if the big eyebolt shown in the photos twists, it is likely to disturb the silicone used as a sealant, and create a leak into the hull. This pretty much cannot happen with an eyestrap. My 2 cents. BB

Came across this thread and trying my luck: Does anyone know off-hand what size and length bolt to use for the eye straps through the lip?

Off the top of my cone I’d say #6. Not sure how long but you’ll want to cut off extra length with a Dremel anyway. You’ll need small washers to fit in the area of the cubby lip.

Back