"really BIG show"

I know there are smaller rigs for smaller people but shouldn't there be bigger rigs for bigger folks? Something like a 95 square foot sail for us big guys to be competetive in the light stuff with the minis that switch up and down depending upon the conditions. Why should the wee folk have all the fun.

Only if we can call it the 'Whomper'

Since the rigs all share the same top section, you'd need a bigger lower section. Not sure what wall thickness changes you'd need, probably not much thicker as the lower would only have to be 1' taller or so.

That'd be pretty powered up in any type of breeze. What if you're out and it goes from 5kts to 15!?! Chaos! (not that that would be a bad thing....)

So if you do it, it could go two ways:

1) You would have a great time sailing with a huge rig and finally having a rig that is perfect for you.

2) Or the winds could pick up into the 18-20 mph range and the mast step would be ripped out of the boat because of the huge rig.

The latter may be eagerating a bit but i don't know. you decide.:D

It would be cool to see

Ah, think ONE DESIGN please. That's why we are still around, and flourishing after 30+ years. Plenty of classes have disappeared after the spar -wars thing got out of hand.

Honestly, our juniors, at 120 lbs, have both full and radial rolled up and ready, but usually choose Full rig, unless training for some radial only HS regatta. The Olympian girls are the first to be able to concentrate on radials.

At 165 lbs., I'm a medium weight, but sail full always, to support thye one design concept. Sometimes we win, sometimes not. Whatever.

Al Russell 182797

sailor327 said:
what would happen to the mast step with high winds and a sail like that.

I think it could handle it in most conditions. As long as you keep moving. Most breakages are the result of rapid deceleration - like planning into the back of a wave and nosediving. I'd suspect the mast itself would break first?

Cool idea - especially for us inland pond sailors!

vtgent49 said:
Ah, think ONE DESIGN please. That's why we are still around, and flourishing after 30+ years. Plenty of classes have disappeared after the spar -wars thing got out of hand.

Honestly, our juniors, at 120 lbs, have both full and radial rolled up and ready, but usually choose Full rig, unless training for some radial only HS regatta. The Olympian girls are the first to be able to concentrate on radials.

At 165 lbs., I'm a medium weight, but sail full always, to support thye one design concept. Sometimes we win, sometimes not. Whatever.

Al Russell 182797

One could argue that the we should think NUMBER OF PEOPLE. Since the advent of allowing the switching back and forth between full and radial rigs during a regatta (masters), it would be interesting to know if more people are showing up. Certainly the lighter folks are enjoying it more, since they don't have to worry about a first day decision on which rig to select and they can still enjoy the sailing when the breeze comes on. Now if that same option were available to the heavy guys, maybe we would have even more folks lining up at the start.

I personally always concentrate on radial and always sail the radial because where i live the winds have a tendency to go from 10-15 to around 20 in one afternoon and at 135 i am to light to be sailing a full rig in higher winds. Plus i dont have enough money to own both.

Hummmmm.....
I wonder..... If a Force 5 mast would fit onto a Laser boom and using the 91 sq ft Force 5 sail would work. Not for racing of course...
Heee hee,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

OliLaser said:
Its callled the mega byte
Yah i would definatley go with the Mega Byte. Thats what all the older guys do where i sail plus they are pretty cool. Or i would go with a Force 5 but i think Mega Bytes are better.
Sam

Back