124_2415_1_1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 145_4570_1_1.jpg
    145_4570_1_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 145_4599_1_1.jpg
    145_4599_1_1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 142
so.. just look at that ice, and if u look on the 3rd pic behind the laser there is some movement on the water. u don't have to have masses of wind to have fun sailing,

sailor327 said:
u r crazy is their any wind at all

So... you doubt the "frostines" of our spring training. These pictures were taken 28th March 2004. Our harbour is quite well protected i.e. no waves visible. When the water temperature is +1C (34 F) it feels quite chilly in any wind conditions. Can't sail more than 45min-1 hour at the time.

Here are two videos that give an idea of the wind:
http://koti.welho.com/jmurto2/video/124_2416.AVI (season opening 2003)
http://koti.welho.com/jmurto2/video/145_4593.AVI (season opening 2004)

JMU said:
So... you doubt the "frostines" of our spring training. These pictures were taken 28th March 2004. Our harbour is quite well protected i.e. no waves visible. When the water temperature is +1C (34 F) it feels quite chilly in any wind conditions. Can't sail more than 45min-1 hour at the time.

Here are two videos that give an idea of the wind:
http://koti.welho.com/jmurto2/video/124_2416.AVI (season opening 2003)
http://koti.welho.com/jmurto2/video/145_4593.AVI (season opening 2004)

Well, aren't you the tease. Let's see some sailing! You made your point about wind though.

:'( really jealous now.

i wish there was some sound tho, ( is there sound or was it just my computer?)

lovely illusrated capsize :p

144679 said:
:'( really jealous now.

i wish there was some sound tho, ( is there sound or was it just my computer?)

lovely illusrated capsize :p

Thanks for the video! Excellent!

I'll bet it's narrated in Finnish so sound wouldn't be too useful for most of us. Wondering if the video was made to promote the sailor, since it intersperses sailing with skiing and weight lifting?

Merrily

Merrily said:
Thanks for the video! Excellent!

I'll bet it's narrated in Finnish so sound wouldn't be too useful for most of us. Wondering if the video was made to promote the sailor, since it intersperses sailing with skiing and weight lifting?

Merrily
Propably so with a pinch of self irony mixed in... the name of the video "voimapurjehtija" (=powersailor) means a sailor who only likes the rough weather physical sailing. Doesn't bother with the subtleties of low wind sailing. Usually big guys.

JMU said:
Propably so with a pinch of self irony mixed in... .

I meant promote in the sense to get sponsors. Do you have World Class sailing aspirations? :)

On another topic, that water has to be close to freezing. What do you wear to stay warm in the water but not too hot in the air?

Merrily

Merrily said:
I meant promote in the sense to get sponsors. Do you have World Class sailing aspirations? :)

On another topic, that water has to be close to freezing. What do you wear to stay warm in the water but not too hot in the air?

Merrily
There has been two of us posting from the same club. I am not the one in the video. I am a master and started as a master two years ago. But yes, I am planning to attent the Masters Worlds in Fortaleza this year. (sort of a turist...:))
I suppose Heka will answer for himself. Propably you were not too far off from the target.

What comes to the other issue... too hot is rarely the case early in the year. There are two schools of though. Some prefer dry-suits. I myself am wearing a 3 mm full body wetsuit with a 3 mm neoprene hiking pants on top. That with a spraytop is enough. The problem is usually with your fingers getting numb and toes are another problem area. It is actually warmer to have a bit more wind. Hiking greates heat.
Generally, I try to avoid capsizing when the water temperature is very low. It is a good time of the year to practize your capsize routine though. Motivation for speed is there. There is a video of my "dry feet" capsize in the VIDEO GALLERY. Sort of a specialty of mine.

Back