Ready to roll

baseman

On the Water
I just thought I'd share this. The bunks on the trailor are under the cockpit which puts less strain on the hull. The gadget that holds the sail and the mast came with the boat. I don't remember ever seeing anything like it for a Sunfish.

Trailorready.jpg

Reactions: A2
Wavedancer, good point. If I ever have to drive a long distance, I'll put the spars in a bag and up on the roof rack. I've been towing the boat the way it's pictured for 3 years without an issue, but rarely over 50mph. Today's trip to a local lake was 2 miles at 30mph.
The mast and boom are lashed together with the halyard and tied to a cleat at the front of the cockpit and a bungie cord around the sail.

I recently saw a photo of a Sunfish with that "gadget" rig for holding the sails - I can't remember where - but I would like know how it attaches to the boat, what it's called, where they are sold and how much. If you have a camera handy next time you use it, maybe you could post some more pictures of that system.

I saw a photo of small device made of PVC pipe that looked like a small football goalpost that fit into the mast tube to hold the mast on the front. Not sure what was on the back.

The way this works is, the front piece fits in the daggerboard slot. The back piece goes in the rudder gudgeon. Keep in mind that this is a Phantom and the rudder gudgeon is completely different. My setup won't work on a Sunfish, not to mention the company where mine came from is now a scuba shop.

Here is what I did. Probably not the best way, but it works and it was cheap.

IMG_19751.jpg

IMG_19761.jpg

2" SCH40
I had the material laying around the shop. If I would have had more Tee's I would have made the base of the cockpit stand in the shape of an H. This way works as long as the stand in the mast hole is tied snug to the rig.

Back