Raymarine Depth Sounder question

billveno83

For a depth sounder, I am hoping to avoid drilling a thru-hull hole in my J/24 ‘project’ boat and am considering using a Raymarine transducer installed inside the hull (maybe in a sealed tube with mineral oil or similar fluid) together with an ST60 display unit.

Has anyone managed to install such a system with success? I have read about transducers mounted directly to a solid fiberglass hull working ok for sending signals - and am wondering if anyone has found that this approach would work with a Raymarine configuration.
Thank you!

I managed to get a fair signal to a ST60+ and a P79 transducer mounted in the hull just forward and to port of where the battery is mounted at the base of the mast. Trial and error for a signal through the hull. i can't say it is perfectly accurate but better than a hole in the hull. I put the glycol recommended by raymarine in the mounting and have a good signal. if I get a chance and it will help i can take a photo of the location.

That's great! Very encouraging news ... I am about to tackle that problem, so your posting helps me enormously! Many thanks PJF.

Just a quick follow-up to your offer to share a photo showing the location of the internal transducer. That would’ve very helpful! Thank you again!
Bill

Very interested in this thread, I was under the impression that in-board transducers did not work on cored hulls. I already have a Vulcan 7r so for $120 I could add depth readings….

Follow-up question for PJF: What did you use to secure the transducer to the hull? Photo of your installationwould be great. Thank you! Bill

Sorry for the poor quality shot and the winter dirt in the boat. You can see the position of the AIRMAR P79 as compared to the mast plate and the old transducer.
J24 Transducer position.jpg

Yep, same place, same transducer, works perfectly.

Attachments

• 31DD1661-97E1-4315-A485-D047BB0422B9.jpeg
    31DD1661-97E1-4315-A485-D047BB0422B9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
For a depth sounder, I am hoping to avoid drilling a thru-hull hole in my J/24 ‘project’ boat and am considering using a Raymarine transducer installed inside the hull (maybe in a sealed tube with mineral oil or similar fluid) together with an ST60 display unit.

Has anyone managed to install such a system with success? I have read about transducers mounted directly to a solid fiberglass hull working ok for sending signals - and am wondering if anyone has found that this approach would work with a Raymarine configuration.
Thank you!
Hi. I am a new owner and just joined this group. Also interested in installing a depth sounder. How did your installation work out? Any tips or advice based on your experience? Thanks very much.

Sorry. No results yet. Boat finally made it into the water and still getting roller curler and mast step location squared away …
But I’ll contact you when I’m installing the depth finder.

Back