Ratchet block vs. Swivel cam cleat with fairlead

El Mar

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, searched but didn't find anything.

I have always sailed various fish with the swivel cam cleat or just the cockpit hook.

My latest boat (1968) has only the hook, so looking to add the cam cleat but notice people using a ratchet block now.

What is the advantage of the ratchet block?

ronstan-swivel-cam-with-fairlead-great-for-sunfish-mainsheet-2.gif
or
yhst-32154317745271_2268_4263462

Best of both worlds - http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a170/Night_Sailor/Sunfish/SunfishMainsheet217.jpg

I have that set up on one of my sunfish and just the single ratchet block on the other. I prefer the Rachet Block/Cam combination. If it's gusty you can always route the sheet through the block but not the cam.

For what it's worth, all three options can get caught if you let the sheet kink, tangle or just get caught around your foot.

Last edited:
I prefer to mount a ratchet block on the deck, and a small cam cleat on the cockpit lip. here's a photo of my setup (before I installed the stand-up spring for the block).
h2135.jpg
the advantage of a ratchet block is that the grooves on the sheave of the block grip the mainsheet and reduce the line pull your hands see.... so ultimately it makes it easier to sail longer, especially in higher winds.
I like to mount the cam cleat down low, so that you can't really cleat the mainsheet unless it is really light winds, so you are forced to play the sail with your hands more.

I use the ratchet block but still retain the hook. If I need to lock the mainsheet I attach it to the hook. Don't do this in a high wind condition.

I prefer to mount a ratchet block on the deck, and a small cam cleat on the cockpit lip. here's a photo of my setup (before I installed the stand-up spring for the block).
View attachment 18738
the advantage of a ratchet block is that the grooves on the sheave of the block grip the mainsheet and reduce the line pull your hands see.... so ultimately it makes it easier to sail longer, especially in higher winds.
I like to mount the cam cleat down low, so that you can't really cleat the mainsheet unless it is really light winds, so you are forced to play the sail with your hands more.

I just did this and sailed twice with. I really like the set up. I also had the block but not the cleat.

Reactions: tag
anyone ever stick cam cleats in this location?? Facing outboards on some risers to get them slightly off the deck...

Attachments

• sunparts1.jpg
    sunparts1.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 76

Back