Ratchet block question

stillwaters

I just got a used sunfish not too long ago, and it needs some parts to get it up to par. I can sail it, but the main problem is that it doesn't have a mainsheet block of any sort. It takes quite a bit of effort to hold the mainsheet directly from the boom!

I've read other threads and decided that a ratchet block is the best way to go, so I'm looking at getting a ratchet block to install on the deck. The eyestrap is there already.

My question is, "Is there a difference between the Harken 019 and the 043?" I understand one ratchets CW and the other CCW, but couldn't you just turn the block around to make it work both ways? In other words, would either of these blocks work on a sunfish?

Yes you can turn the block around to make it work.

The Harkin 019 is a standardly used block on the Sunfish. I personally prefer the Harkin 2625. The 2625 can be rotated.

Whichever block you use, I recommend you use a standup spring. A Harkin 071 spring fits the 019 and 2625 block.

Another way to look at it is, the 019 and the 043 are the very same block only with the ratchet switch on opposite sides, there’s no difference unless you have a right-handed or left-handed preference. If you were applying these blocks for their intended use as port and starboard spinnaker sheet blocks then the switch placement would matter more because you would want the sheets to run in mirroring directions and the switch to be easily accessible regardless which tack you are working.
With the Carb-o-ratch-o-matic there is no switch. For the extra thirty bucks the ratchet engages automatically by load. You do have to thread it the right way for it to function properly, you just don’t have to reach in to set a switch to put it into ratcheting mode. What load it engages and disengages at you preset ahead of time. That’s fine so long as you are good with it being the same all the time. It doesn’t adjust easily while you are on the water. The Harken H369 boot keeps your line from getting fouled in a spring.

Back