Radial outhaul setting different on each tack?

suthera

Various sources confirm that when the breeze comes on, the outhaul on a Radial should be pulled in to between 2 inches off the boom, and one fist off the boom (I think these are standard settings which also apply to Full rigs). Several sources have confirmed that the outhaul should never be so tight that the foot of the sail is completely touching, or inside the boom.

When on Straboard, I can set the outhaul to the one fist/2 inch setting no problem, but when I tack on to Port I notice that the foot is now much tighter, there is no gap between boom and foot at all. The foot is actualy inside the boom.

Has anyone else noticed this? For a while I thought it might be the clew strap being too tight, but I have received plenty of advice confirming that the clew strap should be as tight as possible.

Do you have your cunningham led down one side of the boom? That can make the sail set a little differently on each tack.

Dont forget that as you outhaul line is down 1 side the setting will change slightly on each tack as the mast twists. It will only be a small amount on the secondary line but this can lead to a significant change on the primary line.

I do see this too on my boat (I have the cunningham down 1 side). I find it makes very little difference when sailing at my local club as we generally have short courses due to the size of the water so you can gain much more by effective boat handling than you can by fiddling with the sail control.

The outhaul block needs to be as close to the gooseneck as possible, so that when the boom pivots the outhaul length stays the same.

The outhaul block needs to be as close to the gooseneck as possible, so that when the boom pivots the outhaul length stays the same.

It is and it still sets slightly differently on each tack...it is something I have not yet found a solution to.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the useful responses. In short - I don;t have my cunno down one side, I always double check the sail is on straight at the top, and while the outhaul being led down one side only will be a small issue - I think I have a bigger problem.

I am pretty sure that I am pulling the outhaul clew tie down on too tight, which is pining the clew to one side of the boom (and keeping it pinned to the same side reqardless of which tack I am on), resulting in a tighter foot on one tack and looser foot on the other tack.

I was alwasy told to pull the clew tie down as tight as I could get it. I guess I am over dong it. How tight do you guys pull it on? Just so the bottom of the sail touches the top of the boom, or tight enough for the metal loop to be tight against the boom?

Is your upper spar slightly bent? Or maybe your Radial lower from what I have been reading about them?

As far at the outhaul clew tie-down, I have never heard of it being "too tight". Maybe try a velcro clew strap instead of a tie-down?

The bottom of the sail should be as close as possible to the top of the boom. It should be able to easily slide up and down the boom.

I set my clew strap tight enough that the sail does not lift off it when I pull the kicker on. That way is can slide along the boom for outhaul adjustments if required.

This is easier to achieve with a clew strap than rope unless you want to use a clew sleeve which are a bit of a marmite part.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the useful responses. In short - I don;t have my cunno down one side, I always double check the sail is on straight at the top, and while the outhaul being led down one side only will be a small issue - I think I have a bigger problem.

I am pretty sure that I am pulling the outhaul clew tie down on too tight, which is pining the clew to one side of the boom (and keeping it pinned to the same side reqardless of which tack I am on), resulting in a tighter foot on one tack and looser foot on the other tack.

I was alwasy told to pull the clew tie down as tight as I could get it. I guess I am over dong it. How tight do you guys pull it on? Just so the bottom of the sail touches the top of the boom, or tight enough for the metal loop to be tight against the boom?

I suppose you've already checked the obvious: that your sail has some asymmetry that causes the difference. Center your boom with outhaul/cunningham/mainsheet tight; then check for amount of lateral deflection of your sail's foot perpendicular/horizontal to the boom in both directions. It shouldn't be different by more than a centimeter or two.

Another possibility is that your boom twists/bends in one direction easier than the other -- also easy to check with the help of another. Or off the boat, set the boom on the ground supported at each end with a couple of 5 cm high blocks. Then see how much force is required to deflect it at its midpoint towards the ground. Rotate the boom 180 degrees and check again.

-- Ed

This is easier to achieve with a clew strap than rope unless you want to use a clew sleeve which are a bit of a marmite part.

Hi, I am looking at buying one of these clew sleeves... Wondering what you mean by its a marmite part?

Cheers mate.

Hi, I am looking at buying one of these clew sleeves... Wondering what you mean by its a marmite part?

Cheers mate.

You either love it or hate it! (probably vegemite for you...)

It binding on the boom seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome (grit getting in etc). Personally I will stick with a velcro strap as it does the same job just as effectively and only takes a few seconds longer to rig.

Ah yes, its all makes sense now. Dont mind vegemite, bit salty though. My mum brought me up on marmite. Then there's promite - probably a discussion for another thread...

So, binding eh? I find my velcro strap is binding, thats why Im looking at the clew sleeve.

Can you offer any advice as to why the clew strap is not releasing when I let the outhaul off? Last time I went out, I left it quite loose to allow it to move more freely over the boom - only to notice whilst sailing that it looked like it was going to tear apart...

So to me the sleeve looked like a good thing in theory, as it widens the load on the boom...

all advice appreciated. thanks.

Back