Radial or full

zigga zagga

I am new to laser sailing and the forum , please could someone tell me the difference in rig dimensions between the radial and the full rig ? I know the sail area is about 20% less on the radial but are the mast and boom the same on both ?

Thank
Gene

I am new to laser sailing and the forum , please could someone tell me the difference in rig dimensions between the radial and the full rig ? I know the sail area is about 20% less on the radial but are the mast and boom the same on both ?

Thank
Gene

The boom is the same. The Radial mast is about 3 feet shorter and has different bending qualities--it is softer.

The Laser boom is the same length for the Standard, Radial and 4.7 and is 2740 mm long

The Laser mast comprises two separate sections.

The top section is the same length for the Standard, Radial and 4.7 and is 3600 mm long.

The bottom mast section for a Laser Standard is 2865 mm long
The bottom mast section for a Laser Radial is 2262 mm long
The bottom mast section for a laser 4.7 is 1810 mm long

Hence the total mast length for:-
Laser Standard is 3600 + 2865 = 6465 mm
Laser Radial is 3600 + 2262 = 5862 mm

I can't believe this answer has been at the top of the google results since whenever.

Topmast is 3600 LOA but according to documentation the inserted part is 305mm.

So Radial mast length is 2262 including the base plug plus 3295 (3600-305) = 5557mm.
measurement-diagram-mast-boom-foils.jpg

Not sure if you still need this but the radial has a different bottom section that the full rig but every thing else is the same between rigs. So the top section and the boom are the same.

Back