Rack for two hulls on one trailer

vtsailer

Does anyone know of an affordable rack so I can tow two Sunfish hulls on a single trailer? I have nice custom bunks built for my existing boat, and would want something that could attach to the trailer that fits above those bunks. (Too much work to put down the drain!) I am not opposed to making something if need be.

I've transported 2 at a time with just a square frame between the 2 boats built out of cheap 2x lumber. I just cut 2-2x6 boards in a rough shape to match the upper hull of my Sunfish (the lower boat), and used foam pipe insulation to protect the deck. I was in a hurry, so I didn't even cut a profile for the Super Porpoise that was sitting on top (it's not in as good of shape, and only cost me $50... ). then I used 2-2x4's along the length of the trailer to tie the 2-2x6 cross beams together.

I've since been cautioned that it might be prudent to run a post down to the trailer so the weight of the upper boat doesn't damage the lower boat. it's on my to-do list!

doublefishtrailer.jpg

I also really like this option - making an a-frame to carry 2 at a time -these guys chronicled repairing 2 Sunfish and building the trailer:
http://www.jaimezx.com/Boating/SunfishProject/

trailer5.jpg

cheers,
thad

meech - did you custom build that rack, or buy it as a kit? that's a pretty sweet, and simple setup.

This was not an original idea on my part - I modeled it after one I saw in photos on this website.

Made it from Mcmasterr-Carr/Fastenal railing-fittings & U-clamps, galvanized chain-link top-rail tubing from Menards (one support tube is actually heavier wall domestic water stuff), water noodles from Target, and zip-ties.

I decided on hull-down configuration so I could forget to tarp it and not have to worry about snow or rain filling cockpits. A bird started building a nest up in the lip of one of the cockpits but that would probably happen either way. Since sunfishes are glorified surfboards with sails, to unload I just pull a hull into the water and then flip it over. Well almost... having hulls top-down you have to clear various topside items as they pass over the tubes. If you were dollying, it might be better to build right-side up bunks.

1" pipe and fittings. Since section stiffness is to the 4th power of diameter, I think 1-1/2" pipe would have 5 times the stiffness but I wanted to avoid too much weight (as well as cost). It seems to work well.

Back