Racing tactics

Depends what level you are already at, and what type of racing you are doing/will be doing.

Very good starting points are:

Start to Win - Eric Twiname

The Tactics of Small Boat Racing - Stuart Walker

The Tactics of Small Boat Racing - Stuart Walker

I would agree with this though you do have to be "determined" as his books can be rather full of "I remember Cork week 19xx when the fleet decided to ... facing a strong ebb and dying wind ... with a leg bias as the windward mark was ... and ... so we took the port tack only to find ... ". I tend to think of his books being more about attitude than "how to" (i.e. managing your state of mind). But good (and long).

He has written a similar book (also good) "Advanced Racing Tactics".

Ian

I agree with you on Dr Walkers writing style - nearly made the same comment myself (but decided it might compromise my recommendation).

It was the reason I prefaced my answer by asking what level of racing, and the location.

For club / open meeting type racing, on tidal waters, where the fleets tend to be smaller and courses more irregular, this book contains the sort of situations that you can get a march on the rest of the fleet - assuming you recognise the opportunities as they present themselves.

It's helped me gain many places over the years.

Thanks guys.

We are a small club with about 10 to 12 lasers racing.

I have progressed from always last to 6th to 8th place.

I need to improve.......

Thanks

You're getting there then - well done.

I would definitely get the Eric Twiname which covers general boat handling, mark rounding, how to spot windshifts and the racing rules etc etc, all the bed rock of good tactics, and, if you haven't got it already The Complete Book of Laser Sailing, which deals with the set up and handling of the Laser specifically.

After every race, review what went wrong, and think about what you would do next time. Oh, and, dont forget to review what went well as well (and give yourself a little pat on the back!). Little by little, you will get to the front.

+1 for 'Advanced Racing Tactics' by Stuart Walker.

It was the first tactics book I read, and despite his style getting in the way, it was very comprehensive, and gave me some great tips of what to do/not do on the course. When I raced my first race (after reading the book), I came in 3rd of 7. I was quite pleased with myself, and can't wait for the local ponds to thaw...

I think reading how to sports how to is great! I have done it so many times. But, the technology available with video has revolutionized games. I use them as trainers for all my sport teams.

To that end, I have been sailing Lasers for a long time. I always thought I had speed, but I have been passed. I have watched a few videos, and I'll be first to admit that I know nothing!

Its exciting to do things differently, having tried some of these techniques. By watching video I can visualize what I have been doing. I have tried it out on the course with better results.

Good Luck.

Back